Enabling a .Trash-* folder on an NFS share accessed from Linux machines

jason_derp

Cadet
Hello. I have a vdev running on my TrueNAS system, set up as an NFS share. When I connect to it on a Linux machine and attempt to send a file to trash, I get the warning
Unable to find or create trash directory for media/{user}/{mountpoint}
I attempted to create a trash bin for the uid and gid I’m connecting as on my Linux machine (1000) by going to the highest possible folder in the heirarchy of the mountpoint and trying $ sudo mkdir .-p /.Trash-1000/{expunged,files,info} and attempted to delete a test file, but I got the same warning.

Looking at how the share was configured in Sharing/NFS/Edit on TrueNAS, I saw that “Mapall User” was set to “nobody,” as was “Mapall Group.” My understand is that “Mapall *” sets whatever user accessing the shared drive as that specified user and group. Looking under Accounts/Users and Accounts/Groups, the UID and GID of “nobody” are both 65534. I tried $ sudo mkdir .-p /.Trash-65534/{expunged,files,info}, but nothing changed.

I thought that it might have to do with the permissions so I tried $ sudo chmod -R 770 ./.Trash-65534/ because that's what everything else was set to. I did this for both iterations of the .Trash-* directory, and this didn’t change the message either.

I also messed around with fstab. I referenced $ man fstab, $ man nfs, $ man mount, and the TrueNAS Community documentation were read to see if I could divine any information that I missed, but found nothing. I added uid=1000,gid=...etc... to the "options" section of the NFS drive entry, but this changed nothing. I don't even think those sorts of commands work for NFS mount options from what I've read, but I still tried.

I played around with the "Mapall User" options a bit more and found that if I leave "Mapall Group" blank and put "Mapall User" as root, I am able to create a trash folder just fine, and it lists itself as /.Trash-65534 as I thought it should. My concern is that it is probably not a great idea to leave the "Mapall User" as root, and that I should just enable certain permissions with another use. The problem is that I cannot figure this out for the life of me.
I created a user I just called "default" with 1000/1000 as the UID/GID and listed its Primary Group as "wheel," but then I couldn't even mount the drive.

Is there something that I’m missing about setting up a trash directory for an NFS share?? It seems like it should be simple, but I can’t figure it out.