Degrading Internal speeds

Dnice810

Cadet
Good day folks.
I have a question regarding SMB/internal file transfer/server performance. When transferring large files(directories) from one pool to another using SMB. I notice that server performance is degraded or very lackluster vs transferring smaller files. Any thoughts? below is a picture of netdata during the internal transfer from 1 pool to another.

image.png

Dnice810

Cadet
I should also note, during the last transfer I did today, the write speeds dropped from 50-80Mb/s to 0Mb/s

Dnice810

Cadet
Bump

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Does your motherboard have a RealTek NIC? If so that is a possible, if not likely, culprit and should be replaced with an Intel NIC.

Davvo

MVP

Dnice810

Cadet
I do have a intel nic that can be swapped in. But what I am trying to understand is, why when transfering from one pool to another (internally to truenas) The speeds tank. Is this is because of SMB being used as the middle man?

Davvo

MVP
I do have a intel nic that can be swapped in. But what I am trying to understand is, why when transfering from one pool to another (internally to truenas) The speeds tank. Is this is because of SMB being used as the middle man?
It could be a few different things, but the crap drivers of a realtek NIC are the main suspects.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

If you are using SMB "as the middle man", this is NOT a transfer from "one pool to another" (internally to truenas). An internal transfer would be something done at the shell prompt.

Somebody already pointed to the Realtek ethernet stuff in the Resources section. Realtek is terrible in most cases.

Paul5

Contributor
You have to clarify what you mean by one pool to another using SMB. Do you mean NAS internally, or from NAS to a PC, or from NAS to a PC then back to NAS.

If it's NAS Internal Pools then just use the shell with rsync. To use it via the shell you don't have to turn it on in services either.

Dnice810

Cadet
@Paul5; My skills with Truenas are still in the beginning stages. But I will look into using the shell and commands over SMB.
to directly answer your question; I have 2 pools inside the NAS, one is for outside files coming in and the other is my main storage for media. When I transfer from the outside files pool, to the main storage pool, the transfer speeds tank with large file transfer.

@Davvo/ChrisRJ; I have switched from the onboard NIC to the Intel NIC, so far things look much better. Speeds have improved drastically. I will keep everyone updated with how this is going. I appericate your help, hopefully I won't be too much of a pain.