Dataset case sensitivity - what to use?

VladTepes

Patron
I'll be using my FreeNAS machine to share with a Windows machine or three3, android devices and to serve to TV's etc.

When I set up my datasets should I set Case Sensitivity to: Sensitive, Insensitive or Mixed?

I have searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. Obviously this is something I have to get right from the outset.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is the default? What does the manual say?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

VladTepes

Patron
The default is sensitive, but I need to be certain that the choice I make will be the correct one for what I am doing. How can I be sure of this?

If everyone just used the default, why do the others even exist?
Wouldn't mixed cover ALL eventualities, or isn't it quite that simple?

VladTepes

Patron
?

Mlovelace

Guru
Typically sensitive is what you want, an example would be a file name or folder called Demo would be different than demo or dEmo. If it were set to insensitive then freeNAS would think Demo was the same as demo or dEmo. I've never seen a use for Mixed with most applications, and sensitive is a good default for most instances.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Leave it as sensitive, that's the expected use case

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

VladTepes

Patron
Thank you

Stux

MVP

VladTepes

Patron
stux that first link includes the following paragraph:

The ZFS file system supports three case modes: case-sensitive, case-insensitive, and mixed. The ZFS file system can indicate case conflicts when in mixed mode. Use mixed mode for maximum multi-protocol compatibility. This mode is enabled by default on ZFS file systems.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would it recommend mixed mode when in the preceding sentence it says that it can indicate conflicts ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It means ZFS can be aware of conflicts, presumably allowing for more intelligent resolutions of those conflicts.

Generally, leaving it at FreeNAS' default won't cause any problems.

VladTepes

Patron
Thanks

skyline65

Explorer
I'm using mainly Macs and also sharing files to my htpc running libreelec. So would it be best sensitive or mixed. I know Macs tend to do things a bit differently.

Mlovelace

Guru
I'm using mainly Macs and also sharing files to my htpc running libreelec. So would it be best sensitive or mixed. I know Macs tend to do things a bit differently.
If you don't know of a specific requirement it's best to leave it at the freeNAS default setting.

milworker

Cadet
Maybe we're missing the obvious.

Windows is case insensitive, so you can't have demo.text Demo.txt DEmo.txt in the same folder, nor can you have folders named that way. Nix is case sensitive, allowing the above. Mixed, it would seem, is meant to allow either, but alert you to the possibility that a duplicate file or folder exists in the same share. That would allow or prevent you from overwriting the wrong file/folder; maybe.