Crashplan plugin does not work with Crashplan PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaknell1011

Dabbler
I have verified that only the standard Crashplan accounts will work with our plugin. I currently have 2 Crashplan Pro accounts and after days of trying to figure out why I could not login, I created a new standard Crashplan account, and it logged me in right away. I called Crashplan to have them switch me to Pro, and when they did, the plugin stopped working.

It looks like as of now, Crashplan only works with standard and not Pro accounts. Is it possible to have a Crashplan Pro plugin? Or one that is compatible with both? It's kind of ironic considering in order to configure the headless client you have to download the Crashplan PRO software.

peterloron

Cadet
I also need this. I'm hoping to use my CrashplanPro account with FreeNAS. For now I'll need to set up a little embedded box just to mount and upload the stuff on the NAS.

Nathan_S

Dabbler
Is anyone going to "fix" this, or should I give up? I have a CrashPlan PRO account because I need to be able to have hard drives shipped to me in an emergency, but can't configure a headless client due to the fact that the plugin is for the free account only...

...one more reason I might be moving to ZFS on linux...

Edit: Boss has been doing a lot of stuff in jails lately and feels confident we can modify the jail to contain the PRO software engine instead. Will update if we succeed...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, things get fixed by going to bugs.freenas.org and opening a ticket. Nobody does that, so it won't get fixed. That is, assuming it actually doesn't work with the Pro account(which seems odd to me).

Nathan_S

Dabbler
Well that's part of the problem, is that I wouldn't consider this a "bug" in the traditional sense.

CrashPlan is very clear about this in their documentation, that EACH version has it's OWN software and that when setting up a headless arrangement you NEED to use the correct version. There's Free, Pro, and ProE. Each "app" software (GUI interface) can ONLY connect to THOSE accounts. The plugin for freenas was designed around the free version, meaning that it will only ever connect to THAT versions account database on crashplan's(server) side.

Capitalization was only added for emphasis, not because I'm angry or anything. ;-)

peterloron

Cadet
Has anybody tried installing the Pro software into the normal Crashplan jail?

xcom

Contributor
I am working on an install. I got it to run just fine last night.

joelmusicman

Patron
The plugin for freenas was designed around the free version, meaning that it will only ever connect to THAT versions account database on crashplan's(server) side.

That's not true. I have configured the Crashplan plugin to backup to the cloud. I'm guessing I have the "home" version. I concur with what was said above about the account being linked to one computer. OP: You need to unregister it from any computers that it's installed on and fully complete the setup using the SSH tunnel etc. (instructions here...) and once you've verified the connection, then enter the registration code.

Nathan_S

Dabbler
I got it working, and indeed, the standard free version has some code differences.

(the following is assuming you have a CrashplanPRO account)
So what's happening is that the gui app that's tunneling is talking to a service that has some xml files that's pointing it to the WRONG address in order for your account to validate with your PRO account.

The two files that need to be modified are:

/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/default.service.xml
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml

In the first file there's one line that says "orgtype" and the variable needs to be "BUSINESS"
Couple lines down where it says "authority" the address needs to be changed from "central.crashplan.com:443" to central.crashplanpro.com:443"

The second file also contains a line with orgtype that will need to be changed to "BUSINESS" as well
As above, find the line with "authority" and change the address to contain "pro" at the end of crashplan.

After those changes, I restarted my jail, and my GUI app connected instantly and had ZERO problems connecting to the crashplan server and saw my storage on my jail just fine.

Nathan_S

Dabbler
That's not true. I have configured the Crashplan plugin to backup to the cloud. I'm guessing I have the "home" version. I concur with what was said above about the account being linked to one computer. OP: You need to unregister it from any computers that it's installed on and fully complete the setup using the SSH tunnel etc. (instructions here...) and once you've verified the connection, then enter the registration code.

I beg to differ. Your cloud account has the same back end user database as your free home version, that's the key problem that people are running into here. Crashplan maintains seperate databases for different accounts apparently, which is why I can't use a pro login on their home website, or vice versa. I also can't login to the PROe website or app with my PRO account. It's exactly why they offer THREE versions to download for each plantform.

xcom

Contributor
CrashPlan is the same for home use.
The application is only different for business and enterprise. (Pro Versions)
And it's obvious that the plugin in freenas is the home version. There is nothing to fix. This is done intentionally I am sure...

All I did was install crashplan on my desktop, connect to the freenas crashplan plugin, open a new account, purchase a plan, and my account was upgraded automatically... I didn't even have to enter the serial number...

Nathan_S

Dabbler
Arguing over semantics won't help anyone down the road....

At any rate, my posted fix works for those of us that already have PRO accounts and want to use the built in plugin.

xcom

Contributor
Arguing over semantics won't help anyone down the road....

At any rate, my posted fix works for those of us that already have PRO accounts and want to use the built in plugin.

Thanks for the fix.

Nathan_S

Dabbler
Update: So after all that I think we're moving away from crashplan. Looks like they only have TWO data centers. One is in Milwaukee and the other in Atlanta. They also claim not to throttle, but the best I could manage is roughly 8.5Mbps sustained, which their tech on the phone was impressed by...

I thought since they had offices in the bay area that they would have a data center close to me and that backup speeds would be decent as well as response time in an emergency. Tech said that it'd be about a 3 day turn around on hard drives, and more considering the size of our backup. So basically if we encountered a serious problem (data is on raidz2 + going to a nearline raidz2) then we'd be a week or more without data. We can't live with that as our fireproof solution.

So it looks like we'll be mounting volumes onto a OSX or Winbox as encrypted volumes and then uploading to backblaze. Initial speed tests estimate we should be able to back up about 1TB a day, and restore about 3TB a day. Hell, even if it's 1TB a day that still gets us our files faster than any of these services can copy to hard drives and ship them to us. It might also be helping that backblaze has data centers in Oakland and Sacramento, so both fairly local to us.

And yes, I realize this is all kind of off topic, but this is one of the few threads related to crahsplanPRO for freenas, and I want other professionals considering this option to see our results so they can know what to expect. The whole point of the plugin is to be able to backup your NAS, and most of us have at LEAST 4TB worth of storage, if not a LOT more (our nearline will be a 96TB machine soon with about 70TB of space after raiding). Crashplan speeds are simply unacceptable for this application.

Unless something changes or if I have more related to the topic, there probably won't be any follow up for me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.