CPU Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Looking at the AsRock E3C224D4I-14S CPU support list I see my CPU listed but unlike NewEgg it doesn't
provide me with the model ( BX80646E31231V3 ) number of my CPU.
It's lists E3-1231v3(C0) Haswell-R and I have no idea what Co nor Haswell-R is. Newegg just lists it as
Haswell . Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that it's compatiable. I did a google search and tried to contact AsRock but i don't have a Serial Number for my board as it hasn't shipped yet.

On another note I ordered a SuperMicro to begin with and once i learned of the Lian Li Q26 case i had to place another order for that case which meant ordering the AsRock MB. I like the IPMI interface that the SuperMicro has better than the one for AsRock but the Lian Li case is keeping me from keeping my SuperMicro board.

My question is other than viewing the screen on the NAS which would be the same with both boards how often would you use other features of the interface ?

BIOS update ( maybe once )
IPMI Firmware update ( maybe once )
FreeNas ISO image write ?
LSI Controller update ( once to IT mode ) Update: Flash Tutorial and Flash file by AsRock via Email.

So it seems to me once the build is complete and i've updated everything i wouldn't be missing the SuperMicro IPMI interface too much ?

Last edited:

Phe0nix

Explorer
Thanks jgreco, i've read that article. Sorry but it's still unclear to me if it's supported by the AsRock board i mentioned. They talk about the differences
in the GPU's which mine doesn't have and so on. Do you think the board supports it? At newegg CPU's are non refundable and if it won't work with the AsRock
board i need to cancel my order in a matter of hours before it ships and i'm out hundreds of $.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D4I-14S#CPU

If the supported list read Haswell/Haswell-x then i would know it would support all versions but it doesn't .

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The bit that would concern me is that the 1231 requires you to have BIOS version P2.00.

If you are not certain that the board will come with that BIOS version, then that's an issue. In theory the 1231 was introduced in Q2 of last year, so that's six to nine months ago, and my *guess* would be that current ASRock boards would be sporting the newer BIOS. However, the board is also slightly unusual in that it was purpose-built for a specific application, so it may not be moving tons of them on a monthly basis.

The most conservative route would be to cancel the CPU order and get the board, then try to identify the BIOS onboard (perhaps labeled, perhaps by contacting ASRock Support). This does imply some extra shipping cost. You could also cancel the whole thing and then try to discuss the issue with ASRock Support.

mjws00

Guru
As far as I know there is only 1 1231v3 proc and it is on the list. Added in bios 2.0 last June. Should be fine. Drop ship them here and I'll test it for ya ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As far as I know there is only 1 1231v3 proc and it is on the list. Added in bios 2.0 last June. Should be fine. Drop ship them here and I'll test it for ya ;)

Yeah, but the question is, when will a board he gets from NewEgg have been manufactured? If it is prior to BIOS 2.0, that's a problem.

mjws00

Guru
We posted same time. That's exactly why I mentioned the date. Newegg moves a ton of gear so chances of a fresh one are high. But that board is an expensive little gem that could be stale. That said 1230v3 is in all versions and not a significant difference.

Asrock may also let you flash via ipmi without the hassle of SM. Dunno. Worst case is a cheap 1150 celeron to boot and flash then punt. Not scary.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We posted same time.

If "same time" means you posted three minutes later, heh.

That's exactly why I mentioned the date. Newegg moves a ton of gear so chances of a fresh one are high. But that board is an expensive little gem that could be stale.

Well, yes, that was kind of my point. The 14S is a purpose-made board that was intended to go into the 1U12LW (and made it into the revised 1U12LX) and most people just don't have a real need to have 14 SATA/SAS ports in an "extended" mini-ITX format (which is a bit of an oxymoron). Won't fit into a mini-ITX,

That said 1230v3 is in all versions and not a significant difference.

A point I had intended to make; this is exactly correct.

I do like that ASRock is trying to release boards that ZFS users might actually want. The 14S is a fascinating option at a great price for what it is. And that Q26 looks like an interesting option for a home user, since it looks like the 14S actually fits into it while also still being mini-ITX with a ton of drive space.

mjws00

Guru
Lol. Dinkin around on my phone so couldn't see ya posting. I like this combo, only wish they included a full backplane for that much dinero.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Lol. Dinkin around on my phone so couldn't see ya posting. I like this combo, only wish they included a full backplane for that much dinero.

You want them to throw in some gold plated DIMM's too? ;-) Seriously, that board's not a bad deal and it fits places that others won't. I do respect that. I have been impressed with the effort ASRock is putting into fitting unmet needs in the ZFS community.

mjws00

Guru
It was top of my list with a ds380 and a clever psu choice for a wee little box I could tuck away. Unfortunately, I need another e3 like I need another hole in my head.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have a nice hole saw. You can then drill the hole and insert spare E3's for additional processing capacity.

Phe0nix

Explorer
Wow , thanks guys for all the input. I already have the CPU as i ordered it along with my SuperMicro and a Node 804 and i wish i could cut the Q26 to accept the SuperMicro board and drill some new holes for the required stand-offs. I'd prefer the SuperMicro X10 but i like the case more than the IPMI interface that Supermicro has . The AsRock board has plenty of clearance on it's lenght but the width just does make it. The AsRock is 6.7" wide x 25.4 = 170.18 which is the exact limit the Q26
can accept.

I only have a Q26,AsRock and Ram on order now but all the other items I received 3 days ago and if the CPU wasn't supported i would have to order a CPU that was supported and eat the one i just got. Guess i'll roll the dice on it and let them ship it and call AsRock.

Thanks again for all the input

Last edited:

Phe0nix

Explorer
Asrock may also let you flash via ipmi without the hassle of SM. Dunno. Worst case is a cheap 1150 celeron to boot and flash then punt. Not scary.

We'll turns out i can remove the BIOS chip and order one with the latest BIOS version for $12

Phe0nix

Explorer
Called AsRock and they will send me the BIOS chip free of charge. Only problem now seems to be that i need to flash the LSI controller from IR mode to IT mode and they have no downloads for it
and the tech said use it in IR mode and if it doesn't work as you needed he will request a flash to be created for it WTF lol...

For anyone who runs across this post needing the file to flash the LSI controller here is a link provided by AsRock that describes the process and in the document are links to the required flash files. Just click on the folder icons.

Last edited:

mjws00

Guru
They try WAY harder then SM. Nice. Flashing that 2308 to IT mode takes a couple minutes... should be the same as the SL7's. No big deal cross that bridge when you get there.

Phe0nix

Explorer
If i have to cross that bridge from some unknown reason then if the tech is correct and there is no flash available that board then i'll be out of luck. The tech for server boards didn't show up for work today
so i had to speak with a different tech so maybe he is wrong. Guess AsRock can't operate without that one tech. I've been searching for that flash in case i need it one day and haven't turned up a FTP or
anything like SM uses.

mjws00

Guru
Edit: Meh. Double checked didn't want to mislead ya.

I don't have this board. But there are folks that have flashed the 2308 on that board to IT mode using std procedures. Initially I didn't think twice and just posted the sl7 directions. But I did go and double check to ensure I was correct. There is nothing interesting or odd about AsRock's implementation.

You shouldn't need anything from AsRock. The 2308 IT firmware from pretty much anyone should work as it is a std lsi chip and the firmware is from them. Supermicro has a nice implementation (we are familiar with). They even have a script that works perfectly. Here's a link to a thread on it with the p16 files. Admittedly I was a little terse on directions, but it's pretty simple:

Extract the zip to a usb. Boot to UEFI shell. Mount the USB (likely fs0). Run UEFI\SMC2308T.NSH

It will do the whole thing for ya. Takes a couple minutes. I wouldn't hesitate for a second... but I don't own the board so can't say I've seen it with my own eyes. Anything can happen on a rainy day, but we aren't doing anything someone else hasn't done.

I wouldn't run my 2308 in a mismatched IR mode with zfs, but YMMV. I'd rather take the risk now than find out later. I suspect it will be a non event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.