BUILD Validate my first setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Kwa

Cadet
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new NAS setup. Would really appreciate if you guys could validate my choices for compatibility and recommend any improvements to it. Main use is media storage that does automatic download and transcoding server. My main system is a MacBook Pro.

I will start with one new HDD and upgrade as and when I need it.

Here is what I came up with so far

Total ¥ 171543
US$1374

Some questions:
  • I don't have a monitor, do I need one for setup? If so, will a television monitor Sony Bravia HDMI input, no d-sub do?
  • The end goal will to be utilise all the HDD drives eventually. Will the PSU hold out?
  • While this is mainly build toward a NAS system, I might decide to make it a DAS drive for improved speeds. Any issues that I should note? What is the optimum way to connect this to my MacBook Pro?
  • Do I need anything else? I only have a MBP and nothing else. Do I need any wires, software etc?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
  • The end goal will to be utilise all the HDD drives eventually. Will the PSU hold out?
  • While this is mainly build toward a NAS system, I might decide to make it a DAS drive for improved speeds. Any issues that I should note? What is the optimum way to connect this to my MacBook Pro?
  • Do I need anything else? I only have a MBP and nothing else. Do I need any wires, software etc?
No, that motherboard only has VGA/d-sub. HOWEVER, this motherboard *DOES* have IPMI on it, which means, that you can see the system console remotely via a web browser with Java. So you can use another computer (e.g., laptop?) to view the "screen"...which you will need to do during setup.

The power supply is more than capable of a large number of those hard drives. No problem.

I don't know anything about Macs.

How are you planning on setting up those hard drives? Z2, Z3, Mirrors?

Consider ordering one more USB drive for a mirrored boot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.