BUILD My first FreeNAS box is dead – Moving to new HW

intelligence

Explorer
So, like the title says. My previous box seems like it’s gone totally dead now. While I can access it and power cycle etc via IPMI, I cannot get any VGA via IPMI anymore and there is no POST beep. Suspecting a failing motherboard.

My current build:
* E3C224D4I-14S (LSI2308 flashed to IT mode)
* Intel Xeon E3-1241V3
* 4 x Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Unbuffered Memory
* Lian Li Q26B

Suggested HW for new build:
* Supermicro X11SCH-F
* Intel Xeon E-2246G
* 2 x Samsung DDR4-2666 CL19 REG/ECC SC - 32GB
* Fractal Design Node 804

Drives are 10 x Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 64MB 4TB

Questions:
  1. With this setup I’m hoping to use the Intel GPU for Plex transcoding once FreeNAS 12 is released. It should work, no?
  2. Could someone please recommend a HBA that’s not super expensive and easy to get a hold of in Sweden (Europe)?
  3. Since this is my first migration, do I need to something special to get up and running and get access to my data? Can I just plop in my old USB in the new system?

intelligence

Explorer
Seems like Dell PERC H310 is pretty easy to get my hands on, preflashed to IT mode. Good choice?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Since this is my first migration, do I need to something special to get up and running and get access to my data? Can I just plop in my old USB in the new system?

The pools should import easily, unless you were using GELI encryption. You might be able to get away with reusing your boot pool, if the new hardware is sufficiently close to the old, but it's a crapshoot. (Your new chipset is a C246, but the old was a C224.) You're safer just recreating your config by hand.

sretalla