CPU Overheating. Would this solve the problem?

sws-dc

Cadet
I just completed my first build using server-grade components:
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRI-F
CPU's: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 (x2)
Memory: Dell SK Hynix 4x8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (HMT41GR7BFR8A-PB)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti (EVGA 1GB)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 120-GP-0650-X1 G+ 650W 80+ Gold

I just got TrueNAS working for the first time. I made a VM and installed Windows 10, ran Cinebench R23 to test CPU performance, and at 100% load, one of the CPUs peaked at 85C. The E5-2670s have a T-Case temperature of 82C, so obviously one of the CPUs is overheating. Both CPUs are using SNK-P0048PS passive heatsinks for cooling. I have 7 fans in the system:
5x Arctic F12 PWM PST (230-1350 RPM)
2x Unbranded low rpm 80mm exaust fans

The problem I believe is caused because the first CPU's hot air is going directly into the second. I have attached an example:
example.png

I'm wondering if a single Noctua NH-D9DX i4 CPU Cooler (Or something cheaper with similar performance) would be sufficient to solve the overheating problem. Also, would it be smarter to install it on CPU Socket 1, or 2 and why?

I am trying to keep this server as budget-friendly as possible. The entire system cost me less than $450 so a $70 NH-D9DX i4 is pretty pricey.

P.S. I have a 4U chassis.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
5x Arctic F12 PWM PST (230-1350 RPM)
That's probably not enough RPMs to move sufficient air.

2x Unbranded low rpm 80mm exaust fans
Low RPMs here also not good.

The entire system cost me less than $450
Although you'll be out another few hundred if you fry the CPUs.

I'm wondering if a single Noctua NH-D9DX i4 CPU Cooler (Or something cheaper with similar performance) would be sufficient to solve the overheating problem. Also, would it be smarter to install it on CPU Socket 1, or 2 and why?
Possibly and in Socket 1... you need to be moving more air in general, so anything that moves air is an improvement.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Both CPUs are using SNK-P0048PS passive heatsinks for cooling.

You don't have nearly the airflow required to use a full-size passive heatsinks let alone ones designed for a 2U case with channelled high-pressure airflow. Your Arctics and other swapped fans are nice and quiet but don't have the high-pressure airflow needed to service 230W of CPU TDP.

P.S. I have a 4U chassis.

I assume you bought the case separate from the motherboard. Make and model please; but I'm guessing you've measured the clearance necessary to use a tower style HSF like the Noctuas. You'll also need to be concerned with RAM slot clearance, and one downside of tower-style coolers is that they tend not to provide cooling for the nearby VRM components.

Your drives should at least be cool in between the push-pull fan stack, although it still bears investigation since you're using the Arctics all around.

QonoS

Explorer
2 things recommended:
  • Get CPU coolers with a fan that fit CPU TDP rating. SNK-P0048PS are bad in your case for the reasons Honeybadger mentioned.
  • Replace 80mm exaust fans with ones having high Volume flow because you need to get the heat out when CPUs run at high load.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
While it has been mentioned implicitly, let me add here that there are basically two types of fans out there. Those where achieving a certain air flow (volume) is the primary target. And those where air pressure is key. You need the latter. Good manufacturers specify which kind a given fan belongs to. E.g. Noctua has a professional line where you find both types. I bought two NF-A14 PPC 3000 PWM (just an example, no endorsement!) a couple of weeks ago, because the built-on fans of my case, while being nicely quiet, allowed my HDDs to go up to 40 C. The Noctuas are pretty loud, but temperature now stays below 35 C.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Some reports from a user who had a similar setup in a Supermicro 4U case:

Something like the SNK-P0050AP4 is validated for the X9/X10 series boards and shouldn't have issues with clearance - you might want to validate with SM themselves though.

The HDDs and total airflow/pressure need to be considered as pointed out by @ChrisRJ - the make and model of case will help here, as if it's a convertible tower it may be more tolerant of or designed for lower airflow than if it was intended to be a tightly-packed rackmount with a wall of high-rpm 80mm fans.

sws-dc

Cadet
You don't have nearly the airflow required to use a full-size passive heatsinks let alone ones designed for a 2U case with channelled high-pressure airflow. Your Arctics and other swapped fans are nice and quiet but don't have the high-pressure airflow needed to service 230W of CPU TDP.

I assume you bought the case separate from the motherboard. Make and model please; but I'm guessing you've measured the clearance necessary to use a tower style HSF like the Noctuas. You'll also need to be concerned with RAM slot clearance, and one downside of tower-style coolers is that they tend not to provide cooling for the nearby VRM components.

Your drives should at least be cool in between the push-pull fan stack, although it still bears investigation since you're using the Arctics all around.

The chassis is a Rosewill RSV-L4000 (non U). I have already checked for ram clearance and height clearance with the NH-D9DX i4. Feel free to check yourself if you want. I only have two drives in the system right now so drive overheating is not an issue.

sws-dc

Cadet
While it has been mentioned implicitly, let me add here that there are basically two types of fans out there. Those where achieving a certain air flow (volume) is the primary target. And those where air pressure is key. You need the latter. Good manufacturers specify which kind a given fan belongs to. E.g. Noctua has a professional line where you find both types. I bought two NF-A14 PPC 3000 PWM (just an example, no endorsement!) a couple of weeks ago, because the built-on fans of my case, while being nicely quiet, allowed my HDDs to go up to 40 C. The Noctuas are pretty loud, but temperature now stays below 35 C.

Very informational thank you!

sws-dc

Cadet
Would it be better to get 3x: Noctua NF F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans
to replace the 3 middle fans shown in the example?
$77.85

or

1x: NH-D9DX i4
for one of the CPUs.
$69.95

Which is the better price to performance? And would this keep temperatures down, or would I still need more in the future?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
With only two drives in the front cage, I would definitely prioritize a pair of CPU coolers. They don't have to be as premium as the Noctua you've selected but I've got nothing against them.

2U systems and the heatsinks they come with are designed to sit in a "wind tunnel" of fast moving air created with a shroud, as in the picture below:

1.jpg

Free-flowing air in a 4U is unlikely to ever have the pressure needed to negotiate the dense fins.