Corrupt file on brand new install?

jimwise00

Dabbler
Hi!

Just performed a brand new install of FreeNAS-11.2-U5, and am seeing a pool error in the install pool from the first boot.

Error is this:

Code:
[jwise@erebor /etc/rc.d]$ sudo zpool status -v freenas-boot
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
    corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
    entire pool from backup.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     3
      mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     6
        ada0p2  ONLINE       0     0     6
        ada1p2  ONLINE       0     0     6

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

freenas-boot/ROOT/default:<0x2601a>
        //conf/base/etc/rc.d/ldconfig

Assuming I should reinstall and see if this repeats, but any guidance before I do?

jimwise00

Dabbler
So definitely something wrong with my system -- a shell at the end of installation shows a clean pool status, but the above is back (with different files) after first boot of the system.

jimwise00

Dabbler
For context, ada0 and ada1 are WD Green m.2 SATA devices, connected to an ASMedia ASM106x m.2 SATA controller.

Given that a single bad m.2 should be recoverable from the mirror, should I assume a SATA controller problem? Or something else?

No errors in dmesg.

melloa

Wizard
I'd post your complete server specs, so the folks here could provide a better answer/solution.

melloa

Wizard
Hp DL380Gen8, 96 GB ECC RAM, 2 x 8 core processor.

Interesting... I'm testing a DL380e Gen 8 to use as a LAB.

I got two SSDs connected to its SATA ports, modified the power circuit for the additional video card to power them, and added a LSI HBA to control the drives. It is running ESXi with FreeNAS as a VM (LSI in passthrough), but for the initial tests FreeNAS was booting from the SSDs without any issues.

After I cut the PCI power to build my SATA one, I've found this, but I'm not sure it would work, as I've not tested. If anyone decide to cut the plug to modify to a SATA power, please use a voltmeter as the HP doesn't see to care too much about wire voltage color code. Also note there are two grounds that should not be connected together - use only one of them.

The only thing I don't like about those blades is that they are 2.5" drives and I didn't find any driver with 4TiB for it for a good price. The ones I saw were desktop grade.

@jimwise00, is your chassis 2.5" or 3.5" drives? I've seen blades like mine for about $100 at a local recycle place, but they are all 2.5".

melloa

Wizard
Certain SSDs get corrupt when used as boot, it's a known issue:

That was identified over an year ago and closed by Chris, but I haven't seen any discussion after the post Eric Loewenthal mentioned his WD drivers were acting up as well.

It is a possibility, but I'd test one of those SSDs connected to the motherboard SATA port to make sure it is not the SATA controller.

One thing I've noticed with those HP servers is that they are very sensitive to mods, no HP hardware, etc.

Mine was reporting overheat conditions during tests from a non-installed sensor and reseting three/four times/day, until I realized the ground wires I was using to power my boot SSDs were on two different circuits, causing an unbalanced scenario, reseting the server with false reading.

The configuration I've mentioned above is soaking for a week at the lab, by the way, so not a long time run yet.

jimwise00

Dabbler
I've got the 3.5" model. It's easy enough to use a blank to put 2.5" SSDs in two of the bays, but that would leave only 6 bays for storage.

sretalla