Copying large data to nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
afternoon,

I need help on coping my data to my nas. I have a win8 machine that uses storage pool. It is set up as JBOD with about 9TB of data. I will like help with the best way to transfer that data to my NAS.

I have tried doing it over my network but the win 8 machine keeps crashing after awhile. or it locks up my network.

Is there a way to do it by USB transfer? connect both PC & NAS by a data transfer usb cable?

Any help would be appreciated.

anika200

Contributor
You should be using the sneaker net to get the most bandwidth possible.

Get a usb3 harddrive enclosure and HDD and transfer everything via physical hard drive. This is the fastest and most reliable way for large amount of data.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
thank you for the fast response. so I plug the ext. hhd into my windows machine the copy files to it the plug it into my nas the copy it to the nas. is this correct?

If so, when i plug in to the NAS i would just have to add another volume correct which will be the ext hdd correct? wouldn't this erase the drive when I add the volume? are there instructions for doing this?

I have over 9TB of data do not want to lose it.....

anika200

Contributor
I have to test this out but you should be able to do everything from the console at the freenas box using cp or via the GUI shell. I have a drive here I will test it out today, might be a couple hours or so.

This should be no problem after you plug the drive in you can just ssh into you freenas box and do everything remotely.

1) plug in drive and see what device it gets listed as using dmesg
Code:
# dmesg

As an example mine is /dev/da1
2) what partition are you interested in, below you can see that my windows (ntfs) file system is on slice 1 so that would be noted as /dev/da1s1
Code:
[lee@freenas] /mnt/nas1/temp# gpart show da1
=>      63  390721905  da1  MBR  (186G)
        63      1985      - free -  (992k)
      2048  390719488    1  ntfs  (186G)
  390721536        432      - free -  (216k)

3) load the fuse driver
Code:
[lee@freenas] /mnt/nas1# kldload fuse

CORRECT>kldload fuse (y|n|e|a)? yes

4) mount the usb drive partition to an existing directory you created, in my case temp.
Code:
[lee@freenas] /mnt/nas1# ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt/nas1/temp/

Now the contents of your usb hard drive are in the /mnt/nas1/temp folder.
5) use cp to copy what ever you want off the drive (in my case the temp directory) and into one of your storage areas

Thats it.

leenux_tux

Patron
Another option, if you do decide to stick with network transfer and providing it's a reasonable speed (1GB), use something called "robocopy" to copy your data. The really nice thing about robocopy is that you can configure it (at run time) to ignore files that have already been copied.

It's a command line "command" so can be left running in the back ground and you can (if you want to) have multiple "robocopy" sessions running at once for different folders.

An example "robocopy" command (which I use a lot) looks something like...

robocopy c:\users\my_account x:\users\my_account *.* /ETA /E /R:1 /W:1 /v

Which is

Robocopy "source" "destination" "files" "flags".

Flags are
/ETA = show estimates time of arrival for each file being copied
/E = all folders, even empty ones
/R:1 = retry once
/W:1 = wait 1 second to retry
/V = verbose

There are loads of other flags that you can use as well /MIR for example, which creates a mirror image of the source on the destination. Be VERY careful with MIR though as it will delete files on the destination that do not exist on the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.