Transferring problem,.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Hi all....

I am trying to transfer alot of files over to my NAS at first it starts out great going at about 90mb/sec then it slows down then it stops for awhile then starts back up again. I also notice that it looks like i am losing connection to the freenas box. because in the window it shows the blues bar that fills up that indicates it is connecting to a drive but I am not coping from the nas I am coping to it so why would it do that? I have two connection to my NAS one I am connecting to it by a cisco switch Gigabit and I also set up a direct connection with crossover cables. when i do the copy on either connection i get the same issue.

Not sure I am explaining it correctly........ but any ideas??????

Thanks in advance...

Yatti420

Wizard
What are the specs of the Freenas box and client PC?

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Specs as followed

NAS.

1. Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro S2882-D Motherboard
2. Two Duo Core AMD CPU 333MHz
3. 16GB ECC Memory
4. FreeNas 9.2 running on a 8GB USB
5. 2TB x11 WD Drives Hardware Raid 5. (18.8TB of space need to copy 10TB to NAS).
6. Volume is ZFS.

Win 8 64Bit Machine

1. CPU: intel Xeon x5260 3.33GHz x2
2. 4GB RAM
3. Win 8
4. Realtek Gigabit NIC card (PCI card) (using this port for the network connection thru the switch).
5. 2 onboard NIC max 100MB (using one of these for the connection with the crossover cable).
6. 7TB of data. Several different disk running as JBOD in windows storage space.

Win 7 64BIT

1. AMD 9650 Quad core 2.31GHz
2. 8GB RAM
3. Onboard Nic Gigabit Marvell Yukon
4. 1 x 1TB HHD

I am trying to move all my stored data from both computers over to the NAS.....

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
First of all: your machine sounds ok even though 333 MHz CPUs sound kind of slow.

But zfs generally does not like to be run on hardware raid controller. If possible disable the hardware raid and use it-mode on the controller. Using hw raid defeats some of the purpose of having zfs.

I would start by disabling hw raid. Recreate the pool as raidz2 or raidz3. Then I would monitor CPU load when copying files.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Ohh just noticed the Realtek nic. They are sometimes flaky. If you have an intel nic available try using that. Your nic on the server might also be at fault.

I would get a couple of cheap intel nics and plug them into the machines. Server and client both.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Oh okay thanks for the info....

Changing my raid at this point will be hard since I already have about 7TB on it. How much is it worth to change from Hardware raid? I have a second copy of all my data but don't really want to go thru the coping process again unless rebuild the raid won't lose my data.

I will look into getting intel nic's..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you went with hardware raid you failed to RTFM. It says not to use hardware raid because you can lose data without warning.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
@Irvin if you have to option to rebuild your pool without hardware raid, then do it RIGHT now. As Cyberjock points out you will loose data without warning.

So I would make sure your backup is good and destroy your current pool. There is just no way you can trust a freenas box like that.

Your performance penalty could also be related to the hardware raid in some obscure way.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
ok will do... will need to get a sata card then because motherboard only have 3 ports.

thanks or the responses...

jeremi

Dabbler
chek in the seting of the raid card usualy thea ave a no raid mode that turn them in a port expansion card onli mode

Status
Not open for further replies.