Slow Transfers All of a Sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabster

Explorer
Hi Gang!

So I am not sure - and I hope it's not me, but for instance an approx 150 Gb file (iphoto library from my mac) shows up as taking 22h (and going up) to transfer to my FreeNAS via a 1000baseT (1 Gbit/s) connection.
I checked the ifconfig on my NAS and it also shows 1000baseT connection. I am not sure how to check where the bottleneck might be.
Any ideas welcomed!

thanks!
gabi.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, it's likely because it is a ton of small files and has to do more with the speed of your Mac serving up the photos than the Ethernet or NAS being able to handle the shear amount of small files.

EDIT: To prove it, try to transfer a large single file like a video/movie. If it's slow also then we can troubleshoot but if it moves at a reasonable speed then it definitely is due to the small file sizes of all the photos.

Stux

MVP
Mac photo libraries are actually 'packages' which are folders with thousands of little files in them.

In this case at least one file for each photo.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs and freenas version. Is your max using Ethernet?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gabster

Explorer
Thank you folks!!
@joeschmuck I tried your testing with a 1.6 Gb video file and it took 30 seconds to transfer. So yes, it was in the end the number of files in that library.

Thanks a lot gang!!!
gabi.

joeschmuck

Old Man
There are times where I like the easy fixes and this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.