Connecting to Truenas with iPhone

mzerbe

Cadet
I have an issue where I am unable to connect to my NAS will connected to my home wifi. However, if I turn off wifi and connect to OpenVPN, I can connect to the NAS with no problems.

I am assuming this is some sort of IP address issue but I am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this. When I first setup the NAS I could connect with no problems.

For information, I am running Truenas Core 13.0 and IOS 15.4.1.

I get the following error: "Check the server name or IP address, and then try again." I know all that information is correct because I can connect through OpenVPN without issue.

Any suggestions?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The immediate question is "connect how", since iOS does not have a native client for most (all?) protocols that TrueNAS supports out of the box. That would help guide the discussion...

In the absence of such details, the best I have to offer is that you might want to investigate the status of some of the more obscure options on your WiFi access point, such as isolated LANs for WiFi. It would explain why going out via the internet and back works.

mzerbe

Cadet
On iPhone I just go to the Files app and tap "Connect to Server" and then enter the IP for the server and the login information. This is same process when I connect remotely.

I have been able to connect in the same manner on my MacBook (connected to WiFi) without issue.

Sorry if you were looking for more detail, I am quite new to this so my ability to describe my issue may be very rudimentary.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well I'll be damned, they do have an SMB server. That makes things slightly easier to reason about. I see two scenarios here:
  1. iOS is doing something silly, like trying to go over the cell network instead of WiFi for whatever reason. Not much you can do about it, but you can check if it's the case by turning off cellular data and trying again.
  2. The WiFi network is not allowing the connection to the server. Could be many reasons, so start with the basics. Is the phone on the same subnet as the server? Can the phone ping the server (and does Apple allow apps to do ICMP so you can try to ping your server)?
For what it's worth, I just gave it a try here and it didn't work immediately. There are several variables here, though, so I don't want to draw any conclusions for now.

Aimed

Cadet
Hello!

Have you try toi use ZeroTier? You can get it on TrueNAS Scale, its the easiest way to creat a "local Network" for all youre devices.

Good luck!