compact (and aesthetically pleasing/professional looking) NAS case with 6-8 hot swap bays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajeje_brazo

Cadet
I'm looking for a case for my home NAS.

I'm thinking about 6-8 drives; I don't have a specific need for hot swap drives, I just like that design.

What I have in mind something that would look like a FreeNAS Mini, but unfortunately buying a pre-assembled one would exceed my current budget.

Few clarifications:

• Why "professionally looking"? I'm going to keep it at home so I can't cringe every time I see it - "well designed" would be more in line with what I'm looking for but that I'm sure many would consider an ugly mess of LEDs and plexiglass as "well designed" [but hey, people could say the same of the black monoliths I love :smile: ]
  • Compact: I'm not looking for a desktop tower to convert into a NAS, I don't see the point in having a 50-liters beast around when I have no use for GPU/water cooling inside my case.
  • Ideally the hot swap drives would have LED that can be used to monitor the disk activity/state (I'm not sure how it would be to actually get it to work with the OS so this would be the least important feature).

Inxsible

Guru
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is difficult to get a system like the FreeNAS Mini without spending more than the cost of the FreeNAS Mini.
Is the priority for a low cost, or a teeny tiny box? It is less expensive to build in a standard ATX case so you need to decide what the importance of small is.

Think Fractal Design Define R5.

LIGISTX

Guru
I second the define R5. I got a free Corsair 750d from a buddy and used that and it’s worked out well for my needs, but if I had to buy a case it would have been an R5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
but unfortunately buying a pre-assembled one would exceed my current budget.
What kind of budget and are we doing a whole build from scratch ??

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm looking for a case for my home NAS.
Also, please say where in the world you are so we have some idea where to point you for parts.

ajeje_brazo

Cadet
Thank you for your replies!
I have 6 disk NAS but I recently shipped it and while the HDDs are fine the motherboard/CPU became unusable. I figured that as I'm getting a new motherboard I could also upgrade the case.
I'm in the US.

I think something like this [https://www.inwin-style.com/en/ipc-server/ms08/] would look great but I couldn't find this mode on sale.
The U-NAS Inxsible recommended looks good too.

Stux

MVP
UNAS also had the UNAS800A last I checked which is an 8 bay uATX case

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you for your replies!
I have 6 disk NAS but I recently shipped it and while the HDDs are fine the motherboard/CPU became unusable. I figured that as I'm getting a new motherboard I could also upgrade the case.
I'm in the US.

I think something like this [https://www.inwin-style.com/en/ipc-server/ms08/] would look great but I couldn't find this mode on sale.
The U-NAS Inxsible recommended looks good too.
I sure hate to hear that you want to go with such a small system. Would you consider using an ATX tower system like a Fractal Design Define R5? They look very sleek and they are very quiet. Not hot-swap, but easy to change drives and you can get into a full build that way for less money because you can get memory for less if you buy the right parts.
If that sounds interesting, let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.