Cloud Sync Tasks: What are recommendable backup providers? Is it secure?

green22

Dabbler
I would like to learn something about your cloud backup solutions for your TrueNAS (off-side backup in case of fire or loss), especially three topics. My NAS has 3TB of storage, so for fist 10GB space should be sufficient for 3 backups. My upload speeds with 50MB should be sufficient.

1) What providers can you recommend? I was going to share "google drive unlimited" from a friend, but that shall be shut down now we heard. Thus I am looking for an alternative. Backblaze seems pretty cheap, but there pricing looks confusing too. Maybe you can share your experience.

2) Are cloud backups safe in terms of data protection? I would use remote encryption with file name encryption. I know, that some attacker with huge capacities can break almost every encryption, for me it would be sufficient if common criminals are not able to decrypt and the decryption hassle for intelligence service is too big to feed their databases with my data.

3) In case cloud backups are too expensive or insecure I also think of installing a backup server at a friends house. I have some old PC, I could use for that, but I need new HDDs for that and don’t want the server to run 24/7 at my friends house and also don't want to manually start and stop it all the time.