Offsite cloud storage backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightlazer

Cadet
Hello,

I am struggling to find the best cloud storage backup scheme for my office Freenas. It is ~15 TB three zpool 12 HD server with video recordings and multimedia mostly. Up until now my backup scheme was manually attaching a pool of three usb external drives and have a recursive cp done monthly (each ~5TB pool takes around 2 days).

After a small incident with an outdated backups we want to switch to a safer backup scheme. We are considering something like Amazon, Google Drive, dropbox... because lately their pricing has gone really low, some even offer unlimited storage for as low as 60€/month. The idea is the server to periodically sync its data to differential or incremental backups.

I am a bit lost on the topic of online backups so I ask for advice.

Cheers.

Pheran

Patron
Take a look at Crashplan, there's a FreeNAS plugin that integrates with it. The only issue is that I don't know how the performance would be from Spain. I see there's some sort of European Crashplan called Ceejay, but I don't know if the FreeNAS plugin works with that or not.

Vincèn

Patron
Crashplan is not really usable on FreeNAS for large volume of data, upload is crazy slow (only 1/2M/s max) unless I have a gigabit connection to Internet :(

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I know some people like to use a Windows VM and install the Backblaze (or other random backup provider) software.

Spacemarine

Contributor
upload is crazy slow (only 1/2M/s max)

What is that supposed to mean? I'm getting 2 Mbit/s, I read about other people getting about the same, so that seems to be the "normal" upload speed for crashplan.

unless I have a gigabit connection to Internet :(

Why do you think the upload will get faster, if you have a faster internet connection, even if crashplan can't my out a slow connection?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the fundamental problem is that if you have a terabyte of stuff to upload, and you have 2Mbps upstream, it might take a month or two to upload that much content.

Vincèn

Patron
Well, the fundamental problem is that if you have a terabyte of stuff to upload, and you have 2Mbps upstream, it might take a month or two to upload that much content.
and worse when you have around 20To of data to backup ! Right now I went to using Insync to synchronise to my Unlimited Google Drive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.