CIFS Permissions Issue with uTorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanri010

Explorer
I'm at my wits end with permission issues. I'm currently having issues with uTorrent writing directly to a CIFS share. It will start downloading and then half way through, it will claim that the Freenas CIFS directory will just prevent writing.

1.PNG

I currently connect to my Freenas using an anonymous guest account w/o passwords.

2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

Yet halfway through the torrent, it will just crap out and say the disk isn't writable. The actual directory has a 777 but the file has the following permissions.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Any ideas why it's behaving this way?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You have things configured incorrectly. You shouldn't be sharing out your top level volume, it is owned by root. You need to make a dataset under 'Vault' that is owned by 'guest' and is using windows ACL's. Then create a windows share of that new dataset. I have no clue if this will solve your problem but I do think my way is a better solution. Permissions are just hard for people to understand but you are on the right track with using 'allow guest access' this is the simplest way to get things working with shares. Now you need to work on file and directory permissions.

Sharing your root volume allows people to see all the .system information which shouldn't be shared. And you also don't want to let people change permissions on that directory.

My setup is like this:
Code:
/mnt/tank

(dataset)>/mnt/tank/media
---->/mnt/tank/media/movies/
---->/mnt/tank/media/tv-shows/
---->/mnt/tank/media/music/

(dataset)>/mnt/tank/homes
---->/mnt/tank/homes/user1
---->/mnt/tank/homes/user2

(dataset)>/mnt/tank/jails
---->/mnt/tank/jail1
---->/mnt/tank/jail2

I have configured a windows share for movies, tv-shows, music so you can mount each of those individually. And then users can mount their 'home' share to get their home directory. And finally jails are in their own dataset so when mounting my media inside a jail i don't have weird conflicts with mount the same path that the jail is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.