CIFS directory browsing slow? Try this

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Does one need to reboot the server or just restart CIFS service for the benefit to be seen? I am not seeing an improvement with #4.

View attachment 9555
Image shows one disk with a file of the same size of file before and after on the right. I canceled the 2nd transfer when it kept dropping in transfer speeds.

I was copying from one FreeNAS to another. The server build is in the header and identical for both units. Win7 box acting as CIFS client.

Any ideas?
These parameters do not affect file transfer speeds. It only affects the speed of directory listing on a CIFS share. If you are having an issue, please start new thread.

webpilot

Dabbler
Point taken, but removing the ea support = no made a difference in both transfer and directory refresh. Users of this will have to be able to test and decide what is needed based on their build.

O

obsoleteserver

Number 4 worked for me. 2MB~4MB transfer jumped to around 11MB. Note that I'm not using a dedicated network card, so that's probably why I can only hit that kind of speed. (maybe 8GB of RAM is the bottleneck as well)

Don't know what these funky attributes attributed to (sorry, unintended, move on) but I probably don't need it if Teracopy doesn't throw a huge fit. Right now it's all smooth and butter. Thanks, cyberjock!

I am still relatively new to FreeNAS, but I have a question with regard to this post. Could the slowness mentioned also lead to delays in users seeing new files? When I place a file on one of my CIFS shares that is shared with my family, it can take anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes for the file to appear for them. I can see it, but even after refreshing others cannot. After a few minutes the file will appear for them. Any ideas? Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am still relatively new to FreeNAS, but I have a question with regard to this post. Could the slowness mentioned also lead to delays in users seeing new files? When I place a file on one of my CIFS shares that is shared with my family, it can take anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes for the file to appear for them. I can see it, but even after refreshing others cannot. After a few minutes the file will appear for them. Any ideas? Thanks.

The problem mentioned in this thread was largely resolved in FreeNAS 9.10. What you are describing is a separate issue for which you should create a new forum thread.

IZON

Cadet
Number 4 got me from 25-35MB/s to 115MB/s constant.

Maybe the low speed was because of under-resourced system?

4x8TB HDDs
12GB of RAM
i7 2600

GHANESAN

Dabbler
Dear team ,

please help me ........ we have 14 department dataset in volume manager and mapped each department domain system using network map. But only one workgroup department facing very slow performance issues when access freenas network drive , its loading progress very slow ...... kindly suggest any fine tunning ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Dear team ,

please help me ........ we have 14 department dataset in volume manager and mapped each department domain system using network map. But only one workgroup department facing very slow performance issues when access freenas network drive , its loading progress very slow ...... kindly suggest any fine tunning ?

There's too many possibilities for the issue to not be on the server. For example, if that one workgroup is all in one part of the building, and they're all attached to an overworked network switch then everything would be slow, which kind of sounds like your behavior.

On the other hand, that one workgroup may be doing something special to create the problem. There's just not enough information to know for sure. It's going to require some deep debugging and troubleshooting though. Did you try the optimization I provided in the first post?

GHANESAN

Dabbler
There's too many possibilities for the issue to not be on the server. For example, if that one workgroup is all in one part of the building, and they're all attached to an overworked network switch then everything would be slow, which kind of sounds like your behavior.

On the other hand, that one workgroup may be doing something special to create the problem. There's just not enough information to know for sure. It's going to require some deep debugging and troubleshooting though. Did you try the optimization I provided in the first post?

Dear friend , i ensure .. its not networking issue . In particular department network share to open very slow and loading & file shows not responding issue in all VLAN network. But other department network share working fine in same department vlan

In past we troubleshoot ,
Dear friend ... Freenas Project starting stage we facing slow performance in all department , when rsync process running time . Because rsync process ran time memory utilization almost 8GB full utilization , but after complete rsync process its cant revert back to normal stage .... so we increase RAM upto 12GB and then we create fine tuning in this directory " /boot/loader.conf " .... i added below this line to consume memory utilization ..... ### Memory wired issue - fine tuning
vm.kmem_size="3960M"
vm.kmem_size_max="3960M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1536M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="120M"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I got no good advice. Having the bare minimum hardware can cause performance issues, but your description of the problem doesn't really clear up enough possibilities to see what exactly is going wrong. :(

GHANESAN

Dabbler
Well, I got no good advice. Having the bare minimum hardware can cause performance issues, but your description of the problem doesn't really clear up enough possibilities to see what exactly is going wrong. :(
Dear Friend ,

Now , we have freenas server with 12GB RAM , we added some fine tuning lines
m.kmem_size="3960M"
vm.kmem_size_max="3960M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1536M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="120M" in this directory "/boot/loader.conf " ... its is correct or not , now RAM memory usage upto 5GB only and free memory space upto 7GB. In my manager to suggest , to increase RAM utilization upto 8GB using above "kmem_size_max " and "vfs.zfs.arc_max " , its possible , we need to check to increase RAM upto 8GB , please guide me its impact any performance issues again. But i dont aware about calculation of kmem_size , arc_max and vdev.cache.size" ... please help........... because only one department facing performance issues .. so my project not completed. :(

diedrichg

Wizard
RAM memory usage upto 5GB only and free memory space upto 7GB.
Total system RAM usage? ZFS should be using nearly all the RAM, this is normal and expected.

What is your processor, motherboard and do you have any NIC expansion cards?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Dear Friend ,

Now , we have freenas server with 12GB RAM , we added some fine tuning lines
m.kmem_size="3960M"
vm.kmem_size_max="3960M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1536M"
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="120M" in this directory "/boot/loader.conf " ... its is correct or not , now RAM memory usage upto 5GB only and free memory space upto 7GB. In my manager to suggest , to increase RAM utilization upto 8GB using above "kmem_size_max " and "vfs.zfs.arc_max " , its possible , we need to check to increase RAM upto 8GB , please guide me its impact any performance issues again. But i dont aware about calculation of kmem_size , arc_max and vdev.cache.size" ... please help........... because only one department facing performance issues .. so my project not completed. :(

PLEASE try to keep this to a single thread. I've already responded to you here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...p-freenas-slow-performance.42483/#post-285310

GHANESAN

Dabbler
Total system RAM usage? ZFS should be using nearly all the RAM, this is normal and expected.

What is your processor, motherboard and do you have any NIC expansion cards?
We built vmware infrastructure on Dell PowerEdge T430 server , Total memory capacity is 16GB , memory type is ECC DDR4 , speed 1600Mhz .
CPU processor : Intel (R) core Xeon(R) E5-2609v3 @ 1.90Ghz , hdd : 1*2TB , 7.2k rpm , enblabed RAID 1 , yes we have dedicated NIC cards.

In Dell poweredge , we create 2 VM , one vm allocate 2GB , Freenas VM allocated 12GB RAM.

GHANESAN

Dabbler
Click on 'system' -> 'advanced' -> 'save debug' and post resulting tar.gz file.

Fine-tuning is something you do once you have an appropriately designed system, which you do not have. You most likely need an overhaul.

Dear friend ,

please explain your suggestions .. i cant understand?

GHANESAN

Dabbler
Ok friend .... Here three days hoilday.... in tuesday or wednesday i will go to my client place and download tar.gz file and post here .

Paul Gibson

Cadet
I am a bit confused . . . my FreeNAS (9.10 STABLE) box does not show CIFS as an option anywhere, rather I see SMB. Are they the same thing? In general can I read your CIFS as my SMB?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am a bit confused . . . my FreeNAS (9.10 STABLE) box does not show CIFS as an option anywhere, rather I see SMB. Are they the same thing? In general can I read your CIFS as my SMB?

They are the same thing. Don't know why they had to change it. Pedants make the world more confusing.

millst

Contributor
They are not the same thing. CIFS is an old implementation of SMB, one with a bad reputation.

-tm

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
They are not the same thing. CIFS is an old implementation of SMB, one with a bad reputation.

-tm
I was referring to the webgui element. They refer to the same thing.

Historically the open-source community has fairly consistently equivocated between "CIFS" and "SMB".

Last edited: