CIFS directory browsing and other performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentZero

Dabbler
Here's the current setup:
  • DL380 G6 48GB RAM
  • Flashed IBM M1015, HP SAS Expander
  • 4 mirrored pairs of 146GB 10K SAS presented as NFS to VMware, using a pair of Intel SSDs for SLOG
  • 3 2TB drives in RAIDZ for storage volume
  • zfs.arc_max tuned to 32GB, ARC size sits around 26GB
Question 1:
There are 5 CIFS shares presented from the 3x2TB RAIDZ volume - music, photos, etc. One of the shares currently has 910 subdirectories. If it has not been browsed to in a while, it will take several seconds before the contents are listed. I don't know if there is a tunable for this somewhere? Once the directory structure is 'loaded into memory' browsing performance is fine - and it will stay this way for some time, so closing and re-opening the share do not experience the delay.

Question 2:
After reading http://forums.freenas.org/threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/ this thread, I am lead to believe that my 'transaction group' size is probably too large for the 4 mirrored pairs - 1/8 of 48 = 6GB. Is this tunable as well?

Thanks.

AgentZero

Dabbler
To report back, I have now made some hardware changes...the box is completely different - AMD Opteron 8way, 52GB RAM, 2X M1015, no SAS Expander. The biggest change was that I fronted the CIFS volume with an SSD slog and SSD L2ARC - every browse of the directory is now instantaneous.

I assume it was the SSDs, but maybe 4GB extra memory made that much of a difference? the overall load on the system is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.