CIFS / Creating passworded folders ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

YvanAquino

Cadet
I'm running FreeNAS 8.02 in an x64 architecture and I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how to properly set permissions so that I can provide a public share for the entire family along with password protected shares they can access from any computer or laptop on my LAN.

The entire infrastructure is homogeneous (Windows 7 64 bit PRO or Ultimate), and my current authentication model is set to anonymous as opposed to local user. I'm running a single volume based off a 320 GB hard drive that's running ZFS and using Datasets to differentiate amongst the various users. I'm using Windows ACLs, in case that makes a difference.

Creating the public share was a piece of cake, I changed the permissions on the volume to 777 for and forced the guest account on the share. Creating the user specific shares has been much more difficult... I create a dataset for the user, and set the permissions to BOB (user) and FAMILY (group) and I also disable the guest. Do I need to enable inherit permissions on the family member specific shares, or am I doing something wrong?

Every time I attempt to connect, it gives me the "cannot connect with the same user". I've tried the NET USE // delete command line, but it never fixed the problem... If anyone has insight on (cause of problem and solution), I'd love to hear about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.