CIFS subfolder permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
I'm using FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605021851

I'm using datasets with Windows style permission, set from the FreeNAS GUI.

Then I'm using CIFS shares to share my stuff amongst Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers.

I've been reading around the documentation and the forum and I understand that the generally recommended wait to tweak the permissions is using one of the client computer to connect to the shares and tweak the permissions from the Windows Explorer security tab.

That part, I did, and it worked very well... All my shares have proper permissions.

But within some shares, I want some sub folders to have specific permissions.

I used to do that really easy with my good ol' Linux server, using SAMBA server and configuration file, I'd play with the UNIX permissions of the subfolders to give them specific restrictions.

For example if a share allows access to groups A, B and C.
I might like to set the permissions for a specific subfolder to group A only, or even to a specific User X.

When I try to do that, I get a weird message saying something about that folder having inherited permission from parent.

I'm trying to figure out how to fix that without messing everything up but I can't figure it out.

Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I did a pretty extensive write-up in this thread that may help you (not going to write all that up again..):
Help - Permissions don't seem to be working as intended

As far as going more that two levels deep with permissions, while this can be done it is not considered "Best Practice". Things start getting really confusing and difficult to sort out or Administer.

Status
Not open for further replies.