CIFS and Win7 - User modified files become hidden, access denied changing it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using FreeNAS 8.0.2-RELEASE on a Phenom X2 with 16GB RAM and 3x 450GB WD Velociraptor HDs in RAID-Z.

The RAID-Z volume is called V1. 2 shares on V1, Documents and Accounting. 3 users, 2 groups: Accountant, Sara, and Steve; groups are HansenGeneral and HansenAccounting.

On the documents share, I was unable to xcopy or robocopy the data over, probably because of file attribute permissions. Drag and drop worked, very slowly, but it worked. Now, when they modify a file, it becomes hidden. If we try and un-hide it, we get a permissions error (You must provide administrator credentials), and when we click Continue, it comes up with an error saying the file or path could not be found.

Mystifying.

I've tried chmod -R 777 /mnt/V1/Documents. It processed, but didn't fix it.

I've checked the CIFS share on the FreeNAS and the permissions look fine.

The user accounts and passwords are in sync on their computers and the NAS. Everything is on the same workgroup and working cheerily, normally.

I'm pretty new to Unix/Linux and FreeNAS. Ex. I don't know how to edit conf files (at least I don't know where they are; I think you can type edit samba.conf to pull up the SSH editor, then Ctrl+| to exit it), but I at least know how to get into SSH.

I realized User Account Control was part of the problem -- kinda. We were prompted to provide admin credentials to change attributes, and when we did, our authentication changed (we were now Sara-PC\Administrator rather than Sara) and got an error that path couldn't be found. Using admin command prompt, the mapped drives show up as unavailable.

I turned off UAC completely and now simply get an access denied error when trying to change file attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.