Changing pool name

GChuck

Dabbler
I've build my first FreeNAS server using old spare hardware that according to everybody here, was not up to snuff for a FreeNAS server. So I've ordered a brand new bare bones HP ProLiant ML30 Gen10 server with 32GB ECC memory. I have purchased 5 4TB WD RED drives for my pool (1 spare drive).

When the server arrives, I was hoping to backup my existing configuration and then just move my existing string of 4 2TB drives into this new server, re-install FreeNAS and then restore my configuration and the new server would then be up and running. Then, slowly over time, mark as bad each 2TB drive, replace with a 4TB drive and resilver until all 4 drives had been replaced with larger ones, thus increasing my zraid2 size.

The only thing left to do would then be re-name the pool to something simpler. When I first created the pool, I created a name that somewhat tied it to the server it was on. Now I want to make the name more generic. Can this be done. If so, how does one rename a pool.

I really don't want to start from scratch again (but will if I have to). Would just like to rename the pool.

Thanks.

Greg ...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can this be done.
Yes, but not through the GUI.
  • Export the pool through the GUI. Be sure not to check the box to destroy all data.
  • From the CLI, zpool import oldpoolname newpoolname
  • From the CLI, zpool export newpoolname
  • From the GUI, import the pool.

GChuck

Dabbler
Thank you danb35. That worked like a charm. The only extra thing I had to do was to make sure I didn't delete my shares, and then edit each share after the pool was renamed to use the new name of the pool. Once that was done, everything was back to normal.

Thanks again.

SomeDumbNAS

Dabbler
Yes, but not through the GUI.
  • Export the pool through the GUI. Be sure not to check the box to destroy all data.
  • From the CLI, zpool import oldpoolname newpoolname
  • From the CLI, zpool export newpoolname
  • From the GUI, import the pool.
I am new to this and just want to say thank you!
also my dives had spaces in the name so the CLI was giving issues I found zpool import "old drive name" newdrivename worked for me