Move RAIDZ2 pool to different machine

GChuck

Dabbler
I have two servers, one OLD and one NEW, both configured exactly the same with identical versions of FreeNAS (11.3-U4.1) running on them. The NEW server is the main machine and is configured with a RAIDZ2 pool consisting of 4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf drives. The OLD server is has 4 x 2TB Seagate IronWolf drives. Once per week, the OLD server is booted, and an rsync job is run to bring the pool on both machines into sync, and then shut down again.

What I want to do is to shutdown both systems. Then on the OLD system, remove and store the 4 x 2TB pool offline. Next on the NEW system, remove the 4 x 4TB pool and install it on the OLD system and reboot the OLD system. Hoping that it will still look like the OLD system, but with a larger pool.

Will this work?

My goal is the free up the NEW system with as little down time as possible. I know the network would need to be modified, but that's pretty easy to do. I then plan to do some testing with the now unconfigured NEW system and at a later date, reinstall FreeNAS onto this system with a 4 x 8TB array. Removing the 4 x 2TB array from the OLD system will be my "last gasp" backup, should something go wrong.

Does this make sense and should it work??

I have read the manual, but it really does not discuss this sort of thing in detail fine enough for me to wrap my head around.

Thanks for any and all help.

Greg ...

[mod note: edited for terminology - JG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecmascot

Guru
It worked for me when I did it a year or so ago.
The servers are the same hardware.