certification verification failed

nyxtyr

Dabbler
hello i got an error when trying to manually update my plex like I usually do. Any help is resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Tried making a new cert, tried rebooting the machine.

Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3

trying to manually update plex and getting and error photo attached with error details
error.png

I then noticed my cert if out of date and made a new one however I am unable to delete the old one
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 393, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1155, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1152, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 985, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 2150, in do_delete
    self.middleware.call_sync('certificate.check_dependencies', id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1295, in call_sync
    return self.run_coroutine(methodobj(*prepared_call.args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1335, in run_coroutine
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 439, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 391, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 624, in check_dependencies
    raise CallError('This object is being used by other objects', errno.EBUSY,
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EBUSY] This object is being used by other objects

new "truenas_default" and old cert "freenas_default"
certs.png

nyxtyr

Dabbler
Still working on resolving this issue. I noticed a few other things I have running are no longer connecting to external sites.

I am thinking my best option at resolving this is going to be to some how backup my jails and data and do a new install of truenas to get that external certificate back. However doing this will just lead to the same issue in a few years.

I was considering switching to windows to not have to deal with any signing issues and since I am more familiar with windows but was reading the drive parity reliability is really bad on windows.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
From what I can see here, it would make much more sense to me if you were having trouble with the validation of the certificate for plex.tv, not for your own server's certificate.

The likely cause of that (not having any other relevant information to go from) is a time discrepancy on your system, causing the certificate validation to be impossible.

Check your BIOS battery and the system time and timezone.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Agreed. The problem that's going on here has nothing to do with the certificate on your NAS, so creating a new cert (and deleting the old one) will do nothing to solve it. The reason you're having trouble deleting the old cert is that something (likely the web GUI) is still using it; you can change that in Settings -> General IIRC. But again, that won't do anything in terms of addressing your problem connecting to plex.tv.

As @sretalla says, the most common reason we see here for cert validation failures is that your system clock is off. You can determine this by running the date command. If it is incorrect, correct it in the BIOS settings (being sure to set the time to the current UTC time) and you should be set.

nyxtyr

Dabbler
From what I can see here, it would make much more sense to me if you were having trouble with the validation of the certificate for plex.tv, not for your own server's certificate.

The likely cause of that (not having any other relevant information to go from) is a time discrepancy on your system, causing the certificate validation to be impossible.

Check your BIOS battery and the system time and timezone.
I can try to supply any information requested to help resolve the issue I am having.
date checked and appears to be fine in bios, shell with date cmd and looks good in the gui

Attachments

• date.png
    date.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
  • date(2).png
    date(2).png
    13.3 KB · Views: 65

nyxtyr

Dabbler
Agreed. The problem that's going on here has nothing to do with the certificate on your NAS, so creating a new cert (and deleting the old one) will do nothing to solve it. The reason you're having trouble deleting the old cert is that something (likely the web GUI) is still using it; you can change that in Settings -> General IIRC. But again, that won't do anything in terms of addressing your problem connecting to plex.tv.

As @sretalla says, the most common reason we see here for cert validation failures is that your system clock is off. You can determine this by running the date command. If it is incorrect, correct it in the BIOS settings (being sure to set the time to the current UTC time) and you should be set.
1693941735251.png

The whole thing has just been chaos following other guides and suggested from other people. I tried making new certificates and setting the new ones to the default in the gui, but none of the ones I made fix the errors i am having.

1693942348233.png

1693941893531.png

1693941915601.png

Since that expired a few issues I have would be connecting to plex.tv to get the update file
updateerror.png

sonarr no longer connects to trakt lists at all even though it shows its connected in the trakt dashboard and was working prior to the cert expiration
1693942587102.png

Attachments

• date.png
    date.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 61
  • date(2).png
    date(2).png
    13.3 KB · Views: 67

nyxtyr

Dabbler
The following link may have fixed my sonarr cert issues that popped up when my cert expired. Currently waiting on the system to reboot.

I tried to follow the same process for plex but wasn't able to import the cert as it said it was unable to sync

nyxtyr

Dabbler
hello i got an error when trying to manually update my plex like I usually do. Any help is resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Tried making a new cert, tried rebooting the machine.

Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3

trying to manually update plex and getting and error photo attached with error details View attachment 69251

I then noticed my cert if out of date and made a new one however I am unable to delete the old one
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 393, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1155, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1152, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 985, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/crypto.py", line 2150, in do_delete
    self.middleware.call_sync('certificate.check_dependencies', id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1295, in call_sync
    return self.run_coroutine(methodobj(*prepared_call.args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1335, in run_coroutine
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 439, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 391, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 624, in check_dependencies
    raise CallError('This object is being used by other objects', errno.EBUSY,
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EBUSY] This object is being used by other objects

new "truenas_default" and old cert "freenas_default"
View attachment 69252
This error was able to be fixed by running this command

pkg install ca_root_nss