Can't update from FreeNAS-11.2-U2 to U6

creativep

Cadet
Hello fellow FreeNAS users,

I have been trying to update my system from FreeNAS-11.2-U2 to U6, but this doesn't seem to work.
After updating from the GUI, the system reboots and hangs, the screen stays blank, nothing happens. When I reboot the system again, it boots perfectly fine but into 11.2-U2. The U6 version is shown in the boot environments and has Active Status : Reboot.

I have been reading other threads with update problems, they're not exactly the same. However there is one clue, the GRUB loader is still there (after the first boot attempt post update).

The FreeNAS OS runs on a 15 GB USB stick, is that not possible anymore due to the new boot loader? I am kind of a rookie with FreeNAS when it comes to logging, setting the right permissions and backups. So I would very much like some help on either fix the problem as is, or creating the right backup and reinstall.

OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-U2
(Build Date: Feb 14, 2019 20:8)

Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz (2 cores)

Memory:
4 GiB

creativep

Cadet
Forgot to mention: I've already removed duplicates of boot environments, and I have tried updating 5 times. Everytime the same outcome.

creativep

Cadet
That is probably the issue. Will the system take more RAM?
Yes, I could add some RAM. You really think this explains the boot behavior after the update? There was no error message on screen.

D

dlavigne

It's definitely not helping. If more RAM doesn't allow the upgrade to continue, post the full output of beadm list within code tags.

pschatz100

Guru
You could also have a problem with the USB flash drive. I would save your FreeNAS configuration and try a new install on another device (another flash drive or more preferably a small SSD.) After the new install is completed, you can restore your configuration.

USB flash drives are not reliable and they tend to fail during updates.

creativep

Cadet
Coming week I will receive a new SSD and extra RAM, I think I will install both, since there have been boot problems since my first message.

creativep

Cadet
Alright, I have installed 4 GB memory and I have installed a 120 GB SSD.

Still, the update isn't working. When I reboot after updating, it just comes back online with 11.2-U2

So now I have created a bootable USB from the latest U6 iso image, but this isn't working either. The system won't boot from that USB stick. I even created another bootable USB (both devices are 16 GB). I have tried programs like Win32 diskimager, Rufus, ImageUSB, Etcher. My NAS system and even my regular PC won't boot from the USB sticks with the U6.

I have made a backup image from my old USB stick, that one I can write to any USB stick again and it works, that one does boot. So I'm stuck at 11.2-U2. What do to? There's not error message or anything, the bootable stick just doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:

creativep

Cadet
And there is the solution, I figured it out myself. I have tried a BIOS update, but that didn't help. But what did help was, to change the BIOS Secure Boot setting, where you can select the installed operating system: Windows / Other OS. Since FreeBSD is 'Other OS', this setting was configured. I changed that to 'Windows', et voila, the FreeNAS Bootable USB worked. BUT.... After installing version 11.2 U6 to my SSD, again the system didn't boot. I went back to the BIOS settings and changed the Secure Boot OS setting back to 'Other OS'. Done, it boots the fresh install from the SSD.

Still, weird....

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working. Clearly a motherboard BIOS setting. Unfortunately, since you never listed your system details, this thread is not helpful to anyone. As a courtesy to others, please list your hardware or put it onto your signature.

creativep

Cadet
You're right, here you go:

Freenas-11.2U6
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS,s1150 (Bios 2015/07/10)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 1600 (2x4GB)
Boot: Kingston A400 SSD 120GB
Storage: WD Blue WD30EZRZ 3TB (Media) + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB (Jails)

This setting is not especially something for this mobo, I have seen it on many others as well.

Last edited: