SOLVED Can't submit an avatar image

Oriann

Explorer
Cannot change my avatar, everytime I try to upload my favourite tux, website throws error: A server error occured, please try again later.
I am trying this for whole week but still I think its not problem on my side.

Help please :(

images.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've asked the admins to take a look.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hmm. I thought it had been solved. I did some testing and there is definitely something broken. I couldn't change your avatar as admin, it failed for me with an error. I cannot fix whatever is wrong but I assigned the report to someone who can or could direct it to someone better able.

Oriann

Explorer
Thank you guys for response. Its not something very critical but its nice to have this very old forum feature functional :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hmm. I thought it had been solved. I did some testing and there is definitely something broken. I couldn't change your avatar as admin, it failed for me with an error. I cannot fix whatever is wrong but I assigned the report to someone who can or could direct it to someone better able.
I tried to change my photo and I am getting an error. Do you know if they are looking into this?

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I have no notice that there is active investigation into this beyond what I was able to do. I will check your account settings now to see if anything would cause it (that would be obvious to me to be the cause).

@Chris Moore Did you happen to attempt your avatar change at about 1:18pm (assuming local system time) today?
Screenshot_2019-12-30 Server error logs iXsystems Community - Admin control panel.png

Last edited:

thepixelgeek

Patron
I'm getting errors too.

thepixelgeek

Patron

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Ok, good (sorta). I have no clue how XenForo handles its avatar images, but I had expected them to be sorted according to username of the uploader, perhaps this is not how it is done. If it is, then some other directory permission issue is blocking in some way. Note the error log below:
Screenshot_2020-01-02 Server error logs iXsystems Community - Admin control panel.png

thepixelgeek

Patron
Still broken for me...just tried it.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Is there some progression on this issue please ?
Yeah, i hope for the same. Since it appears to be a server issue of some sort (something misconfigured, wrong permissions on a directory, *shrugs*) we all are stuck waiting until those on site can do the real work of fixing it. @Jaron @Kris Moore @Jeremy @JoshDW19 or some other iX staff will be the ones who might be best able to help.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Good news! (mostly) The issue has been resolved. My guess at the cause was right but others fixed it, from @JoshDW19
Sounds like we found the issue. From the IT team: "We decided to double check and did indeed find a permissions error in the directory hierarchy that I overlooked. That has been fixed however, that will not bring back any missing files. but should eliminate any future issues saving to those directories. Users will need to edit and save their avatars again to resolve this fully."