Can't start any apps - stuck on Deploying

bmears

Cadet
This is my first time installing TrueNAS and the installation and file server setup went well. I've created SMB and NFS shares that are working fine. My problem is that while I can *install* apps, I can't start any of them. They all get hung in the "Deploying" state. So far I've tried emby, home-assistant, and node-red all with the same results.

My system is a low-end home-built file server that I've been running XigmaNAS on for six years. I just recently decided to switch to TrueNAS Scale explicitly because of the app support but that hasn't been kind to me. :)

Running dmesg shows a constant stream of messages like this:

IPVS: rr: UDP 172.17.0.10:53 - no destination available

Googling for this symptom and message turned up a lot of threads but they all seemed to be app-specific or were otherwise not relevant to my situation. I suspect I missed a step in the installation of TrueNAS Scale but I can't figure out what it was. Any suggestions?

My hardware setup follows.

AMD A8-7600
16 GB RAM
One 256 GB SSD for the OS
Four 4 TB Western Digital drives setup as two pools of two drives each
Single 1Gpbs NIC
Home network is 192.168.1.*
Router is OPNSense running on a Protectli Vault
No VLANs or other network complexity

Yeah, this isn't spectacular hardware but it was rock-solid with XigmaNAS and has been sufficient for my purposes.

bmears

Cadet
Since it has been a week with no responses, I'm guessing this problem may not be as simple as I was hoping it would be.

At this point, I'll take any troubleshooting ideas people may have. As a newcomer to TrueNAS and to containerization, I've run out of ideas.

If the only solution is "Buy brand new hardware and start over", you have to help me sell that to my wife. :)

LarsR

Guru
There's a cachinig bug with the apps menu, have you tried to force refresh the apps page with shift+f5?
And are the apps intalled on the hdds or do you have a dedicated ssd pool like recommended?
Did you take a look at the app's event if an error pops up?

bmears

Cadet
@LarsR Thanks for the help. I believe I must have been running into the caching bug because when I went back to work this issue after several days away from it, an app I had left in the Deploying state was in the Running state. Then I was able to start my other two apps with no problem. I would swear that I had hit refresh on the apps page previously when I was troubleshooting this problem but at this point I won't argue with success.

To close this question out, can I ask you to elaborate on your second point about installing the apps on a dedicated SSD pool? They are currently in a dedicated dataset on one of my two 4 TB pools. Is the recommended practice to install yet another drive solely for apps? Is there any way I can put them on the 256 GB SSD I use for the OS? For the number of apps I'll have, it seems wasteful to put another drive in.

Thanks again for the help.

LarsR

Guru
You can't use the drive you use for the boot environment for anything else, so no it's not possible to use it for the apps.
Depending on how many apps you want to install you could run into speed issues with an hdd array (starting and installing apps). Therefore ssds are recommended over using hdds.