Can't Save to NAS

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
So I was able to somehow get SMB to work, I definitely need to do more research with this, on my windows laptop. I can move files to and from the NAS using simple drag and drop techniques but I can not for the life of me get other applications to save to the NAS directly. I was trying to make an image of my laptop to run it in a VM for testing purposes and to add another layer of security. I was able to get Macrium to save there but I can't get seem to get VMware Vcenter Converter Standalone to save to the NAS. It just fails and gives me a permission error.

FreeNAS has been a fun and challenging headache so far but I enjoy the learning experience its giving me and any assistance is greatly appreciated. Specs should be in the sig.

kdragon75

Wizard
and to add another layer of security
VMs don't make anything "more secure"
I was able to get Macrium to save there
Does that run as a program under your user in windows?
but I can't get seem to get VMware Vcenter Converter Standalone to save to the NAS
I would imagine this runs as the local (to your computer) administrator account. This is a different user/security context. How are your permissions setup?

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
VMs don't make anything "more secure"

Does that run as a program under your user in windows?

I would imagine this runs as the local (to your computer) administrator account. This is a different user/security context. How are your permissions setup?

So Macrium and VMWare both run as programs under my user account. To be honest the user permissions have been tossing me around a bit. What info do you need regarding permissions?

Things have been crazy lately and I started messing around with Azure AD which I thought might make things a bit easier. Instead that became an entirely new learning curve so I may or may not abandon the AD. I certainly need to take a close look at my permissions this week. The NAS has been on the back burner for too long.

Speaking of permissions... Could anyone offer a suggestion or two for setting up IP cameras to use a pool on freenas as a storage location? I am strongly considering going with Unifi cameras. I can make another post for this if need be because all i see is people wanting to put the unifi software in a VM and that's not what my goal is.

Thanks!