Cant log on to TrueNAS but can log onto jails...

SO... currently working remotely from a hospital (just had our second child)... so, my information is a little limited... BUT:

I can not log into my TrueNAS installation via the GUI or by SSH...
I CAN, however, log into the shells that are running on it, the VMs that are running on it and access the files that are stored on the share (NFS)...
This happened once before but i didnt think much about it as i was messing around with the whole system and was home, so i just physically power cycled the system...

Anyone have any clues as to what would cause this? (I cant reboot the machine until i get home in a few days... it doesnt really impact anything right now other than monitoring the system...)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Usually a middleware crash (followed by hanging of other processes).

And I'm assuming I can assume that there's no remote fix? Will require a physical power cycle? (Not a HUGE deal... Am headed home today... But would like to future proof that in case it happens in the future... Probably via smart switch)...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
And I'm assuming I can assume that there's no remote fix? Will require a physical power cycle?
If you have no ssh access and no GUI, direct console access is the only other option... but you need to be at the server for that (unless you have IPMI?).

If you have no ssh access and no GUI, direct console access is the only other option... but you need to be at the server for that (unless you have IPMI?).
I'm actually not 100% sure if I do or not... But I am 100% sure that I do not know how to use one, and if it were to need to be set up, it is not... :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
And I'm assuming I can assume that there's no remote fix? Will require a physical power cycle? (Not a HUGE deal... Am headed home today... But would like to future proof that in case it happens in the future... Probably via smart switch)
For now: probably yes. A single push of an ACPI power button will do a clean shutdown. Then power up again.
For the future: always enable SSH access. A simple service middlewared restart would bring back the UI ...

For now: probably yes. A single push of an ACPI power button will do a clean shutdown. Then power up again.
For the future: always enable SSH access. A simple service middlewared restart would bring back the UI ...
SSH is enabled... But I am unable to login via SSH to the main system.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That rules out the occasional middleware crash.
Ah! Well, hopefully I'll have more details later today when I gain physical access to the machine.
The weird part is that the NFS shares and SMB shares are still active, as are the VMs and jails...

I do know I was doing some high network activity with it right before it stopped being accessible. (I was trying to set up Readarr via docker and I'm new at it so, was trying to figure out the volume mapping to work correctly (I was trying to build the mapping through fstab, as it's the way I'm most comfortable with... Figured I'd get into the guts of how to make it right in docker later... I was also having significant difficulties trying to figure out how to modify the active docker container's settings... Couldn't find a yaml and wasn't contained in the XML)