Can but cant log to TruNAS, what is the problem?

nainsurvolte

Cadet
I got this strange issue this morning. I wanted to go in and take a look at the state of the drives and all. Try root, cant log in, try my own user name, cant log in. For both I receive a bad password. I tried several times, making sure caps lock is not engaged. I type the password in the user prompt to make sure it was good and all but nothing, always bad password. But then I try putty and ssh with my user and, oh it works... I am puzzled... Obviously the root does not work through ssh so cant do much if I need to try some system corrections.

Here is the setup of the machine: I have an old HP Z220 CMT which is an Intel C216 chipset with an i7 3770 processor. I have 32 GB of RAM and the drives are connected through a LSI9211 card and the whole thing is running TrueNAS 12.0 RC.

Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
You can only log into the GUI as root - not as a user.

Seems that you must have forgotten the root password...? To reset the root password, use the option 7 on the console menu.

nainsurvolte

Cadet
That is my issue, I can't log in to the interface, I receive bad password for both root and my personal user who belongs to wheel. But as mentioned, if I use my user, which cant log in through the web interface, and can connect through SSH to TrueNAS using the same password.

And I can tell you, I have not forgot the password, since root and my user share the same password (no comment, I know, they are secured ones and its at home). So to summarize:

Web interface:
- User: root ; Password: blabla -> bad password
- User: myusername ; Password: blabla -> bad password

SSH
- User: myusername ; Password: blabla -> Welcome back

And although I enabled the option root log in through SSH, I am never able to do it unless I edit the sshd file (that is another issue).

Redcoat

MVP
Web interface:
- User: root ; Password: blabla -> bad password Solution is to use option 7 on console menu to reset pw
- User: myusername ; Password: blabla -> bad password As expected - only root account can log on to GUI

SSH
- User: myusername ; Password: blabla -> Welcome back As expected (if username and pw valid)

Redcoat

MVP
No idea - maybe a glitch with the RC? Perhaps the release will fix...

emk2203

Guru
FWIW, I have the same issue now. Using a 12.1 nightly. It would be interesting to know how this happens.