Can't import Encrypted Pool

Sprint

Explorer
Hi All

So I'm starting to play with TrueNas Scale on my offsite backup NAS, as it should do everything I need, so decided I'd try and help with the development. I was running TrueNas Core in a VM on ESX, so I exported my two pools and wiped the OS drives that ESX lived on, and installed TrueNas scale. I then have gone to import my two pools. One was relatively new, and was encrypted under TrueNas (That has imported) but my main backup pool isn't visible when I go to "import". the only difference is that this was encrypted back when the server was still using FreeNas, so "Legacy Encryption" I guess? Could this be a known bug? (I did search around before posting but didn't find anything). All input welcome, and if its not something anyones come across, then I'll maybe try raise it as a bug :)

Thanks all
Sprint

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE is not at the stage where re recommend importing pools from FreeNAS or even TrueNAS. We'll add those tools later when SCALE is more mature. At this stage, we recommend creating new pools and replicating data from existing pools.

The old GELI encryption is not planned for TrueNAS SCALE... Replicate data to a new pool would be recommended. You can then use the new dataset encryption capabilities or self-encrypting drives.

Sprint

Explorer
Thanks Morgan, so a known limitation for now, but on the road map long term. For now I'll continue using Core on my backup NAS and play with Scale just on my test rig :) Thanks for coming back to me :smile:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Just to be clear, the old GELI encryption is not planned to be supported. It is FreeBSD based, slower and more complex than SEDs or native ZFS encryption. Should be "not on the road map long term". However, importing most pools will be supported.