SOLVED Can't boot in UEFI Mode X9SCI-LN4F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I'm trying to install FreeNAS with the motherboard in the title. I have 2 usb sticks, a larger one for the boot drive and a smaller one for the installation. The larger stick shows up in the motherboard as both a UEFI and legacy boot option. The smaller drive only shows up as a UEFI option. Normally this wouldn't be much of a problem but for some reason, I can't boot from any UEFI devices using this motherboard. The thing is it's a Sandy Bridge board so I'm pretty sure it supports UEFI.

Possible solutions are either to somehow make the USB show up as a legacy device, or to enable UEFI booting on the motherboard (I looked at all the settings and I dont see a UEFI option). The thing is the bios looks like a legacy bios with the plain text and graphics, but I expect that from a supermicro boad, I'm pretty sure it supports UEFI since it mentions legacy boot and there is an option to show UEFI boot devices. I can boot into UEFI shell but not a UEFI device.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That doesn't make any sense. Try the following steps:
  • Mount the 9.10.1-U1 ISO (Do not try an older version)
  • Boot it as UEFI
  • Install FreeNAS to the desired devices
  • Unmount the ISO
  • Try to boot from the boot devices

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
That doesn't make any sense. Try the following steps:
  • Mount the 9.10.1-U1 ISO (Do not try an older version)
  • Boot it as UEFI
  • Install FreeNAS to the desired devices
  • Unmount the ISO
  • Try to boot from the boot devices
I tried a different USB imaging program and it worked on the first try. For some reason it wasn't liking how Rufus was imaging the drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why are you even using USB flash drives? Just use IPMI and save yourself the hassle.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
Why are you even using USB flash drives? Just use IPMI and save yourself the hassle.
I have 0 experience with IPMI and figured it would just be easier to load it on a USB and then install. It's a process I've done many times before.

snaptec

Guru
Have a look at ipmi. Even at the first try you will be faster than baking usb sticks...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer

snaptec

Guru
Yeah, but works without problems for me on mac and linux

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
The web interface (including the iKVM) works fine on Linux, but I can't get the iKVM to work on my Mac under either Firefox or Chrome. I can get it to work using the IPMIView software (though that takes a dog's age to load), but that version of the KVM is slightly different and wants a network path to a .iso. In any event, it's likely a good option for OP.

Stux

MVP
The web interface (including the iKVM) works fine on Linux, but I can't get the iKVM to work on my Mac under either Firefox or Chrome. I can get it to work using the IPMIView software (though that takes a dog's age to load), but that version of the KVM is slightly different and wants a network path to a .iso. In any event, it's likely a good option for OP.

Yep, I use it via IE (not Edge) in Parallels. Its a real pain using java apps with hi-dpi monitors too. squinty.

I just used a parallels VM, booting straight off the ISO, to write the freenas USBs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Its a real pain using java apps with hi-dpi monitors too.
That happens in all OSes if the java application isn't explicitly made aware of high-DPI modes (and even then, it may sometimes revert to "Am I going blind?" mode).

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
That happens in all OSes if the java application is explicitly made aware of high-DPI modes (and even then, it may sometimes revert to "Am I going blind?" mode).

Haven't found a nice solution other than switching my Windows VM into low-dpi mode... Which is not cool.

Instead I stare at the 3x2" console.

Status
Not open for further replies.