First FreeNAS Install; NVMe Flash Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJXCR

Cadet
All,

I'm attempting to install FreeNAS (first 9.10.2-U3 and now 11.0-RC), but after numerous attempts using various configurations and/or methods, I can't get around a kernel panic on initial boot (post "successful installation")

Hardware Configuration:
MB: Intel S2600WT2
Processors: 2x Intel E5-2667V4
Memory: 128GB DDR4 RDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-19200
NIC: Chelsio T580-CR
SLOG: 2x Intel P3700 480GB
Storage Primary: 8x Samsung Enterprise NVMe PM953 960GB
Storage OS First Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to UEFI) --> Installer will not boot
Storage OS Second Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to UEFI) --> Installer will not boot
Storage OS Third Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Fourth Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Fifth Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Sixth Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Seventh Attempt: 1x 64GB Scandisk Ultra (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Eighth Attempt: 1x 64GB Scandisk Ultra (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic

I've been through this process for both 9.10.2-U3 & 11.0-RC with exactly the same results. This machine runs Windows Server 2016 Data Center flawlessly; also no issues running Parted Magic.

Based on my limited knowledge, it would appear that the panic initiates at: "running without device atpic requires a local APIC"... See screenshot below:

BqilKgo.jpg

...Pretty frustrating at this point. Any thoughts as to what might be creating the issue? Is it possible that even though the option to select a UEFI install exists when the installer was run from a legacy environment, doing so will not work?

If so, how can I get the installer to run with BIOS in UEFI mode? I've attempted to do this via EFI Shell with no success.

Edit: Install media has been created using both Rufus in a Windows environment and dd from Parted Magic on a 32GB USB 3.0 stick

What am I missing?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Storage OS First Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to UEFI) --> Installer will not boot
Storage OS Second Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to UEFI) --> Installer will not boot
Storage OS Third Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Fourth Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Fifth Attempt: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Sixth Attempt: 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Seventh Attempt: 1x 64GB Scandisk Ultra (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select UEFI install --> Successful Install --> Set BIOS to UEFI --> Kernel Panic
Storage OS Eighth Attempt: 1x 64GB Scandisk Ultra (Attempting to boot installer with BIOS set to Legacy) --> Installer boots --> Select Legacy install --> Successful Install --> Leave BIOS in Legacy --> Kernel Panic
Woah, that's a lot of patience!

You'll want to file a bug report and see where the devs can take this one. All the things you tried should just work.
https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When that's done, post a link here so that readers can easily find the bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.