can't access web UI, can't restart django, rebooting 'fixes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaassh

Dabbler
#cat /etc/version
FreeNAS-11.1-U6 (caffd76fa)

(I'm using the old UI if thats not obvious from the above command.)

Every week or so, my web UI will stop being responsive. The first signs of problems are that Chrome will just 'spin' when I access the site. The request has never timed out.

I think everything else is continuing to work. I mostly just run a few things:
- Plex
- an Ubuntu VM
- AFP
- ssh
- SMART
- a few snapshot schedules

Plex, Ubuntu, AFP and SSH all still work. Without the UI it's unclear if SMART and the snapshots are still running (but kinda besides the point here).

In the past I've tried various forms of:
- service django restart
- service nginx restart
- kill <django pid>
- kill -9 <django pid>

If I recall correctly the django restart just hangs on "Waiting for PID (<some PID>)" and the service command never exits.

So, I've CTRL-C'd the service command and then tried to kill or kill -9 the PID. Neither actually kill the process.

Finally, after a bit, I end up rebooting which has resolved the issue.

My system is currently in the state where the UI isn't working -- but I haven't tried anything yet. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages prior to the restart messages?

jaaassh

Dabbler
Not sure about this first one, but the last two seem relevant:

Code:
Nov  3 00:00:00 freenas syslog-ng[1680]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;

Code:
Nov  5 14:09:13 freenas uwsgi: [freeadmin.navtree:614] An error occurred while unserializing from http://127.0.0.1/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: Expecting value: line 2 column 1 (char 1)
Nov  5 14:09:13 freenas uwsgi: [freeadmin.navtree:614] An error occurred while unserializing from http://127.0.0.1/plugins/transmission/2/_s/treemenu: Expecting value: line 2 column 1 (char 1)

jaaassh

Dabbler
If I recall correctly, uwsgi is the process (from the hanging PID) when I can't restart django. Also, I just ran this: Is it odd there are two uwsgi processes running?

Code:
# ps aux|grep django
root		2999   0.0  0.1 150760  13572  -  S	28Oct18	 0:24.16 /usr/local/bin/uwsgi --chdir=/usr/local/www --module=freenasUI.wsgi:application --master --pidfile=/var/run/django.pid --fastcgi-socket=127.0.0.1:9042 -T --threads=15 -L -b 20480 --daemonize=/var/log/
root		6571   0.0  0.3 218660  47224  -  I	28Oct18	 0:28.90 /usr/local/bin/uwsgi --chdir=/usr/local/www --module=freenasUI.wsgi:application --master --pidfile=/var/run/django.pid --fastcgi-socket=127.0.0.1:9042 -T --threads=15 -L -b 20480 --daemonize=/var/log/

meelmeal

Cadet
I also have the exact same issue. the UI stops responding to anything and it's either rebooting or waiting for about 5 minutes to "service django restart" command to get past the "Waiting for PIDs: ..." and finish.

Jaaaassh, have you found any solution to this ?

jaaassh

Dabbler
No, I have not. Though, mine has seemingly fixed itself sometime in the last 7 days.

To clarify my concerns: "Waiting ~7 days" is not a sufficient 'fix' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.