Web UI signin suddenly not working TrueNAS 12.0

ManNorb

Cadet
My Truenas installation (12.0) have been running good for a while since I upgraded from Freenas. Suddenly when I wanted to access the Web UI I got the following message: "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network " as seen in the attached scrrenshot. The in the shell I get repetded error lines as shown in attached picture. The NAS system is avaliable and works as it should as well as the iocage jails I have. I have not tried to restart the system and I want to avoid it as long as possible. Is there any known issues similar to mine and how to solve it or how to restart the Web UI ?

I already tried som things meantioned in freenas treads, like "service nginx restart" without improvements and "service django restart" which populates a message that django does not exist.

I would be greatful for help on this! Thanks!

Web UI:
1611319561847.png

Shell:
1611319657599.png

service restart nginx and service django nginx
1611320117576.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
django is for 11.x. The simplest thing in your case is to just restart.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
service middlewared restart should bring the GUI back.

adrianwi

Guru
I've just had a similar issue on 12.0-U4 and found this solution, so thanks!

Do you want me to send you my debug file?

numbertwo

Dabbler
I'm also facing this issue in TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 and the previous U4. It usually only happens after 2-3 days. I can still ping the server IP so the network is fine. As i don't switch on SSH, so the only way for me is to hard-reboot from the server. Appreciate if this can be fixed soon.

Inexcusable

Cadet
It stopped working for me as well, tried:
Code:
service middlewared restart

It failed to start properly with the following:
Code:
service middlewared restart
Stopping middlewared.
Waiting for PIDS: 19432, 19432.
Middleware startup is idle for more than 240 seconds
##############################################################
MIDDLEWARED FAILED TO START, SYSTEM WILL NOT BEHAVE CORRECTLY!
##############################################################

Web UI available but just says "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network."

numbertwo

Dabbler
I don't see how to edit a post.
SMB also stopped working, cannot restart at the moment.

can you perhaps check if there is an IP conflict ? Mine seems to have settled down after I found out that there is an IP conflict between my NAS and one of my home devices. I then reserved an IP in my router for my NAS and problem doesn't seem to come back anymore.

Rgrds

Inexcusable

Cadet
can you perhaps check if there is an IP conflict ?

There isn't, DHCP is on a different address range, it's a custom address that I know is reserved for NAS. NFS continued working and I could sign in using SSH, iSCSI probably worked too, didn't test. All SMB clients would not connect using the Windows Explorer, loading for a long time and then showing error. A different file manager would not connect on one PC, but I tried that one on another PC and it worked, so Windows Explorer definitely wasn't working, other software maybe. I restarted TrueNAS and it started working normally. This shitty Windows software is so fragile, it doesn't work, it doesn't error out, it gets stuck and on top of that if it errors out, the error message/code is meaningless to users. TrueNAS seems to have failed in some weird way.
It was on TrueNAS 12.0-U5, updated it to U5.1 while I was at it.

Inexcusable

Cadet
Figured out what the deal was with the network share. A single SMB network share got somehow corrupted, I was getting "A device attached to the system is not functioning" error, I recreated the share and that particular problem. The other shares weren't working either but a restart resolved those.