Web UI unavailable

Spacirek

Cadet
Hi,
After the upgrade from 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS CORE 12.0, it has happened to me twice that the system has lost its web interface. I only got a page to check if the server was working. The console did not display any IP addresses where the web interface should be available, and when I tried to adjust the network connection through the console, it was the same as pressing enter without entering an action number. However, the NFS and SMB share worked without a problem on all ports during that time. After the restart, everything is fine, but since it happened for the second time, I expect the same error to happen again. Storage runs on Supermicro with Intel i350 for 1Gb ports and Intel X710DA2 10Gb ports.
It looks like web service is crashing.

Supermicro X9DRi-F
2x Intel Xeon 2630L
64GB RAM
Intel X710DA2 10GB NIC

Also, reporting page in UI doesn’t work.

Last edited:

hescominsoon

Patron
glad to see somebody else is hitting this as i was told i was the only one seeing this. you can go to the shell and use the following command to restart the middleware: service middlewared restart

open up a ticket in jira nd i'll join it..:)

gwur

Cadet
I am not sure if the problem that I am seeing is the same or different but I thought I'd check before opening a new thread.

I updated from 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS Core 12. After the update, immediately after the update, the Web UI worked. A couple of days later I tried accessing Web UI and I get:
Firefox: "Secure Connection Failed. An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.1.2. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR"
Chrome: "This site can’t be reached. 192.168.1.2 unexpectedly closed the connection. ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED"

SMB shares work, and I can ssh into the machine. I haven't tried restarting the machine just yet. 'service middlewared restart' did not fix the issue.

Is mine a related issue?

hescominsoon

Patron
no idea. try logging into the console and restarting the middleware as i noted above and see if that error clears up.

gwur

Cadet
no idea. try logging into the console and restarting the middleware as i noted above and see if that error clears up.
No luck.

Any other options?

I don't want to be power cycling the NAS to get access to UI.

hescominsoon

Patron
so logging into ssh as root and then typing
service middlewared restart
and pressing enter doesn't restore the middleware? if not then open up a ticket

gwur

Cadet
After assistance from iXsystems staff I figured out what was going on.

The issue was the local Bitdefender Internet Security. It wasn't something that I thought of originally as all other https sites work. Its a good lesson for me in how the admin workstation could cause problems for general system admin. I don't know what it is about iXsystems cert, or the way that TrueNAS serves the Web UI that leads to the issue. I don't have the same problem with other admin portals. For example iLO 4 works (with a warning from Bitdefender).

I must write, I appreciate the time iXsystems staff put into working out what the problem may be. I hope they obtained some useful knowledge about TrueNAS and Bitdefender interaction.

hescominsoon

Patron
you know? I normally disable third party a/v when troubleshooting...and I didn't give you that advice at first..case of virtually violating my own rules..:) I have had tons of issues with bit defender which is the main reason I never use it any longer and remove it at my first opportunity(after client authorization of course).