Can't access TrueNAS anymore after tunable: "firewall_enable = yes (rc.conf)" after installing OpenVPN on TrueNAS

robindouglas

Cadet
I followed the following video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkfW4aC9Rk&t=1349s&ab_channel=Techworks to set up my OpenVPN.

It worked for about half a day and suddenly stopped, after this I could not get it working again. I pinned the issue down to the moment I enable the firewall and set it to open. From that point on I can not get back on my server again. In the CMD I can still ping it, but I cant get the login site opened.

At the moment I followed the complete video except for the firewall part, I can connect with the OpenVPN and access everything in the server, but I can't use the internet from the server. Does anyone has a workaround or a solution for this problem. Because I can't get my head around it.

Kind regards

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try turning the firewall back off. At least in the past, the developers did not intend for the firewall to be enabled.

robindouglas

Cadet
Try turning the firewall back off. At least in the past, the developers did not intend for the firewall to be enabled.
I did not put the tunable firewall in yet, because the moment I enable I'm not able to get back in my server GUI to turn it back off. So I've reset everything to default and all I did was make a pool and follow the video, but not put in the firewall. However I'm now not able to connect to the internet only the server itself.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Add DNS servers and a default gateway. Also make sure your subnet mask is correct.