Can't Access Existing SMB shares from another host in TrueNAS

tnactmilli

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm trying to setup Plex/Emby Media servers in TrueNas Scale and installation works fine, however once installed I can't access my SMB shares in the Plex and Emby application set up wizards.

My SMB shares "live" on a different host. Permissions are set up so I can access my shares between all my systems however, I don't see a way to add those shares so the data on those shares are accessible inside TrueNAS. Going through the documentation I found and poking through the settings I see you can set up an SMB share that "lives" INSIDE TrueNAS datasets, but I already have shares in place I just need to provide access from those existing shares (on a separate host) to TrueNas Scale. In addition, I don't have enough space to transfer all my media over to a TrueNas pool, and I don't want all my data hosted by TrueNas in general.

Also want to note, I have Plex and Emby servers up and running in a different method, but I want to migrate them to TrueNAS Scale, while keeping my existing shares in place since they are used for more than just my media servers.

Can anyone provide any assistance on how to accomplish this task or a better way to approach this issue?

Thanks!

Also want to note, I have Plex and Emby servers up and running in a different method, but I want to migrate them to TrueNAS Scale, while keeping my existing shares in place since they are used for more than just my media servers.
How come? Plex allows you to have different servers linked under the same account, and thus logging into your Plex account you can play media from any library.

tnactmilli

Cadet
How come? Plex allows you to have different servers linked under the same account, and thus logging into your Plex account you can play media from any library.
I want to move my Plex instance to TrueNas. It's running on a less powerful server that's in the process of being phased out. TrueNas will be the new home of my media servers if at all possible.

I believe SCALE would require you to create a post-init script that manually mounts an external SMB share ("cifs") to a path on the local TrueNAS server. How well this works? I'm not sure. It's definitely not officially supported, and it goes beyond the scope of TrueNAS.

Something to this degree, perhaps:
Code:
mount -t cifs -o ro,iocharset=utf8,actimeo=60,uid=plex,gid=plex,file_mode=0440,dir_mode=0550,credentials=/mnt/mypool/home/secret.txt //192.168.0.200/shaername /mnt/mypool/media/plexshare/

The credentials file ("secret.txt") should look something like this:
Code:
username=cifsuser
password=mypassword1234
domain=workgroup

Alternatively, instead of "credentials=" you can also specify "username=" and "password=" in the mount command itself.

* The problem I see is if Plex attempts to access the path before it has been mounted via "cifs".