Can't Access Cifs from Windows Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
I have a Windows and Mac Environment. I would like to setup Plex to use along w/ Freenas
I have been following this guide for the most part which may be outdated
http://exzacklyright.blogspot.com/2014/03/newbienoob-guide-to-freenas-plex.html
I can seem to navigate to my newly created CIFS Share after enabling and configuring the settings
Any help would be most appreciated

CIFS Share.PNG

RemyZ

Contributor
For now I am using a piss poor workaround by running SFTP to the machine and uploading my files.

My guess is you are trying to do to much and that could be the limiting factor. But to help we are going to need more information. Version of the OS you are trying to use CIFS/Samba with.

I will say there should be no reason to put hosts in the "Allow" section. It should work fine without.

The latest versions of windows has issues with browsing so I would suggest opening up the computer file browser and doing a \\here.is.my.server.IP\ThisIsMyShare and see what you get.

Another thing, if you have not set things like FreeNAS up before you may find it easier to reset to a default configuration and use the wizard to get it all up and running. And make sure to do a reboot when you make changes and they don't seem to work as intended.

RemyZ

Contributor
Windows 7 Pro SP1
I havent gone thru the wizard throughout this period
Tried going directly to the dataset by \\IP\Media Folder in addition to jus \\Freenas
I haven't gone thru the wizard throughout this period
I removed the Allowed Lists, Tried to keep it simple and rebooted after trying multiple variations for the permission rules. Still get the error message that the folder is not reachable

Keep in mind that on my first install of Freenas I was able to get it to work and could access the CIF Shares.
The hierarchy structure I made was overly complicated and I released just make one media folder to include everything instead of separate main folders for Shows/Movies/Music. I reinstalled the software and started from scratch afterwards and have never been able to get it to work properly.

Attachments

• CIFS Share.PNG
    CIFS Share.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Media Dataset.PNG
    Media Dataset.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Uncheck only allow guest access.

RemyZ

Contributor

RemyZ

Contributor
any ideas on how to fix this or properly start over ?
At the moment I am not able to access the share drive. Upload Files etc so in essence I cant use my Nas system at all. The Secure FTP option uploaded the files but I cant see them within Plex Media Server either. In addition, If I change Access rights to '777' still not able to access them from Plex Media Server. I am still optimistic and willing to go step by step with someone that can guide me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

RemyZ

Contributor
Thanks for the video link will follow the link tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.