Cannot Update Plex (9.10 Jail) on FreeNAS 11.2-U2.1

Fattrain

Dabbler
Current PlexPass Version Installed = 1.13.9.5439

Current FreshPorts PlexPass Version Available = 1.15.1.791_1

Yes, I know I am on the new platform and should be migrating to IOCage but I'm not 100% comfortable doing so and can't afford a mis-step when it comes to the library of 20tb I've spent years building.

My main concern is just getting Plex to upgrade. When I do the "pkg upgrade" command I get the following response:
plex-update.JPG

Is there any way to force an upgrade of the PlexPass port to my 9.10 legacy jail without actually migrating to IOCage e.t.c. ?

Thanks in advance FreeNAS Fam!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're going to have to take the plunge and covert to Iocage at some point if you want to keep plex up to date. Switching jail managers shouldn't put your data at risk if you've set it up correctly.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes.

Fattrain

Dabbler
Ok, you were right Jailer, that script was pretty slick and definitely did the trick.

- I disabled both of my existing jails called "plex" and "plexpy" in the legacy UI

- I ran the command as it pertained to my environment (one for each jail above)
migrate_warden.py -v -j <WARDEN> -p <POOL>

- I went into the new GUI jails section and tried to start each one but they would start and then fail
(My fix was clicking "edit" on each one, disabling VNET, and changing the IP4 interface to em0. Hopefully that's ok?)

However, back to my original question, when I do the PKG UPGRADE command when inside the shell of my plex jail it still just says up to date like it did on my previous legacy jail? What am I missing?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Fattrain

Dabbler
No I didn't. After a quick search I assume this is the thread you're referring too?

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...pdates-issues-in-an-iocage-plugin-jail.72517/

I followed that guide but still seem to get the same error. It did however give me a slightly different error after getting to the end of the instructions and running the pkg update && upgrade command.... It says version mismatch, allow y/n and I said y.

Now when I run pkg update or pkg upgrade is just says all repositories are up to date again.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Fattrain

Dabbler
What is the output of freebsd-version from the plex jail shell?

It is now 11.1-RELEASE-p15 after I followed the directions in the link you provided and updated from 10.3 -> 11.1 via the main root shell.

However, I did encounter some errors during the merge where I had to manually edit/confirm the etc/hosts file and a few other files asked me to confirm a lot of +/- stuff using "y" for yes. (I took screenshots of all the screens if needed)

I then started the jail from the GUI, went into the jail shell and typed "pkg update" and got the following error:

Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

I have found a few things to try by googling around but didn't want to screw it up before posting again in this thread. Thoughts?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It is now 11.1-RELEASE-p15 after I followed the directions in the link you provided and updated from 10.3 -> 11.1 via the main root shell.
11.1 is no longer supported. Upgrade the jail to 11.2 and then run pkg upgrade in your plex jail.

Fattrain

Dabbler
11.1 is no longer supported. Upgrade the jail to 11.2 and then run pkg upgrade in your plex jail.

Upgraded to 11.2-RELEASE-p9

Same Error when running the pkg upgrade command:
Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

I tried running the "pkg-static update" command and it told me:
Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected. Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended

I tried running that command, and it looks to have REINSTALLED pkg-1.10.5_5

but, I am still getting the same error libssl.so.7 error

Last edited:

Fattrain

Dabbler
Any idea what my error could be?

Perhaps a line needs to get changed in some pkg config file somewhere?

Redcoat

MVP
An 11.2-RELEASE-p9 jail gave me the same result exactly yesterday on FreeNAS 11.2- U1. Eventually (wasted a morning on it including researching the error and the FreeBSD solutions to it, none of which were effective) I deleted the jail and started over - new jail installed as -p6 and "Update" had no effect (this time it did not increment to -p9). Plex installed just fine.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
I'm stuck in the same situation here. Have got a few jails from 10.3-RELEASE that just migrated to iocage and tried to upgrade.

I'm checking with the least important of them, upgrade from iocage worked fine bu cannot execute pkg anymore.

Found this thread:

https://myitlog.wordpress.com/2017/...ails-from-freebsd-10-3-to-11-0-major-upgrade/

Seems that the same problem is treated here:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/from-10-3-to-11-0.57834/

But still no luck it fails on the first step with this error:

Code:
The process will require 11 MiB more space.
392 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
pkg-static: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/xproto-7.0.31.txz: Not Found

I really lack experience with BSD package system, and I don't understand why it's using a version 10 repository when I'm supposedly running 11 at his point.
And definitely that file isn't available on that path.

Still reading the first thread and trying this command pkg-static bootstrap -f:

Code:
pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended
pkg(8) is already installed. Forcing reinstallation through pkg(7).
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest, please wait...
pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended
[transmission_1] Installing pkg-1.10.5_5...
pkg-static: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:10:amd64 instead of FreeBSD:11:amd64
package pkg is already installed, forced install

I got this wrong architecture message. This means I must change the repository for pkg-static somehow?

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Well I think I solved this somehow.

As I wrote on previous post it seemed that pkg-static was using the wrong repository, therefor I edited /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf.

Code:
FreeBSD: {
#  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest",
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/release_2",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  enabled: yes
}

Then as the other thread suggested I ran:
pkg-static upgrade -f
pkg upgrade

And all working alright.

Some thoughts here, I used FreeBSD:11:amd64/release_2 because it's the only one that included the package I was getting a problem with, it's not present in /latest for some reason. I also don't know why it looks for x86:64 because if you browse the web there is only amd64 architecture (I mean the only x86 64bit architecture), although the link works.

Notice that I'm not that familiar with freeBSD and maybe I have broken something here, someone with more experience may throw some light to my findings.

Fattrain

Dabbler
Alright guys, I finally dove back into this and spent several days working things out. In the end, I decided to create a new jail from scratch and migrate manually. Here's roughly how I did it.

Go to new GUI IOCage jails interface and create a new jail called plex.
Go into the shell and upgrade jail like this:
Code:
iocage upgrade JAILNAME -r 11.2-RELEASE

I had to resolved a few conflicts by deleting a space or two in the hosts file e.t.c. but it finished smoothly

Start the jail and click SHELL
Code:
pkg upgrade
edit /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf

Change /quarterly to /latest (Escape and Save)
(That will give you the latest ports from Freshports)

Code:
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass
service plexmediaserver_plexpass onerestart

Open Plex Web interface just to make sure it works (you should see the setup wizard). Then just close it.
Stop the IOCage Jail

Set all your mount points like you had in your old warden jail (I had 4 different mount points, videos, tv shows, music e.t.c.)

Now the big part, migrate your Plex Metadata/Database from the old jail to the new.
(Mine was about 80gb and this took a good 6 hours.)
Code:
cp -a /mnt/DATAPOOL/jails/plex/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass /mnt/DATAPOOL/iocage/jails/plex/root/usr/local/

Next, tweak your jail network settings according to this post (I was getting weird transcoding issues e.t.c. and files would not play until I did the following)
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...adata-and-transcoding-issue.60628/post-488842

Start your Plex Jail and go into Shell again
Code:
edit /etc/rc.conf

Add the following line
plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable="YES"
Escape and Save
Restart Jail
ENJOY!