Cannot unmount / detach

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosophos

Cadet
Hi!

I'm using FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 and cannot solve the following problem: When I try to lock my encrypted volume i got:

Apr 27 20:55:25 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to detach freenas-zpool1 with "zpool export freenas-zpool1" (exited with 1): cannot unmount '/mnt/freenas-zpool1/home/user': Device busy ]

I shut down SMB and most other services but there is no way so far. Any ideas, what I might be doing wrong or what I have overlooked?

Thx!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are trying to lock your encrypted volume? You mean detach the pool? How are you "locking" the volume?

philosophos

Cadet
Maybe I should have said that I try to lock the encrypted volume in his decrypted state. Is that what you mean? I tried it via GUI "Lock Volume".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your sentences make no sense to me.

There is no "lock volume" I'm aware of...

philosophos

Cadet
Sorry :( maybe this is because I'm not a native speaker. I have an encrypted volume, that is decrypted/unlocked at the moment and I want to lock it to take the system securely offline. Dont know how to describe it otherwise. If you have an encrypted zpool the "Lock Volume" Button should be under "Storage" if you choose the encrypted pool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok. There is no option for locking that I'm aware of. You can detach the pool, but its still decrypted and you could easily remount it if you wanted to. If you actually want to lock it so nobody can access it without the password and/or key combination you will have to reboot your server so that geli wipes out the keys in memory.

There is probably a way to do it from the command line, but I don't recommend or endorse the practice. As soon as you start doing things behind FreeNAS back people find their data is suddenly gone. You probably don't want to be in that group.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
I realize this post is a week old but I'm still catching up on posts that I've been behind on.

Your sentences make no sense to me.

There is no "lock volume" I'm aware of...
SpoqFGq.png

May be new from 9.2.1+. I don't recall it being part of 9.2.0 but I'm not certain.

This button only exists if you have a passphrase set. If you have a passphrase and reboot, the pool appears "LOCKED" in the status as it cannot be decrypted until you enter the passphrase. When you use this button, the pool is returned to this exact state so I am assuming the passphrase is cleared from RAM. I did not read the code to find out yet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, that must be a 9.2.1 thing. As I'm not using 9.2.1, that would definitely explain it a bit.

So my guess is your pool that is encrypted also acts as your syslog location, so you could unmount it after you stop the services that are using the pool. I'm a bit busy right now so I can't help you much more, but hopefully I've pointed you in a direction to go.

The passphrase is cleared from RAM within a fraction of a second of mounting the pool. Once it gets the passphrase and decryption key and unlocks the pool the passphrase means nothing and is no longer necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.