Cannot detach volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckypp

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have struggled with this for hours and can't work out how to progress. I am trying to replace all the 6x disks in an existing volume with a new set of disks (larger). I figured the easiest way would be to detach the volume, remove all the disks, create new volume and copy the data back from a backup.

However when I go to detach the volume I get "Error: Failed to detach volume1 with "zpool export volume1" (exited with 1): cannot unmount '/mnt/volume1/onsite': Device busy". The same happens if I try to export the volume on the CLI (even with -f).

/mnt/volume1/onsite is a dataset in the volume. I have tried turning off CIFS completely, trying to export straight after a fresh reboot but still get exactly the same error. If I run an fuser on the volume nothing shows up. There are no jails in this volume, it's just file data. Running latest version of Freenas.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Why not just replace the disks in place? Replace all the disks with larger disks, and the pool will grow accordingly. No need to detach the pool and restore from backup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Heck, why not simply shutdown the server, pull the disks out and put the new disks in. When you bootup the OS it will be upset that the old zpool couldn't be mounted, and you simply "detach" it from the WebGUI and make your new zpool. There's definitely no risk of things being busy if the darn thing doesn't physically exist. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.