Cannot import pool after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodas

Cadet
Rebooting did not help, so I made a new USB stick.
When I try to import the volume, my console gets errors and reboots.

Code:
root@NVRSK-NAS01 ~]# zpool import											
   pool: Master																
id: 11179461048929766454												  
state: ONLINE																
status: The pool was last accessed by another system.						
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and	
		the '-f' flag.														
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY									
config:																		

Master										ONLINE					
		  gptid/63b91fd0-a9c0-11e6-a543-0090fab800aa  ONLINE 

So i try zpool import:

Code:
[root@NVRSK-NAS01 ~]# zpool import -f Master									
cannot import 'Master': I/O error											  
		Destroy and re-create the pool from									
		a backup source.

Hope for your help! Many thanks.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
What did the GUI do when you tried to Auto Import the pool? I suspect nothing.

How about giving us some details like what version of FreeNAS you are running, how many hard drives are in your pool and system specs.

Post the output of dmesg, camcontrol devlist, glabel status, and zpool status.

I don't like using the -f parameter until knowing more about your system/pool. I's surprised the UPS didn't signal the FreeNAS to shut down in time during the power loss. Maybe you need a new UPS (assuming you have one in the first place like we highly recommend).

rodas

Cadet
When I tired to Auto Import the pool system reboots.

I have FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4 (ec9a7d3). It has configured 1 ZFS pools: Master (4 SAS RAID6)

System specs:

Platform SuperMicro MBD-X10SRL-F
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Memory 8GB DDR4 KVR21R15D8/8 ECC Reg
4 HDD Toshiba SAS 600Gb 0B26013 10k 64M (RAID6)

zpool status
Code:

pool: freenas-boot

state: ONLINE

scan: none requested

config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM

freenas-boot  ONLINE  0  0  0

da0p2  ONLINE  0  0  0

errors: No known data errors

glabel status
Code:

Name  Status  Components

gptid/629982c4-a9c0-11e6-a543-0090fab800aa  N/A  mfid0p1

gptid/63b91fd0-a9c0-11e6-a543-0090fab800aa  N/A  mfid0p2

gptid/41e6dde5-b0c3-11e6-ae5b-0090fab800aa  N/A  da0p1

camcontrol devlist

Code:

<TOSHIBA AL14SEB060N 0102>  at scbus0 target 8 lun 0 (pass0)

<TOSHIBA AL14SEB060N 0102>  at scbus0 target 9 lun 0 (pass1)

<TOSHIBA AL14SEB060N 0102>  at scbus0 target 10 lun 0 (pass2)

<TOSHIBA AL14SEB060N 0102>  at scbus0 target 11 lun 0 (pass3)

<Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP>  at scbus12 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)

dmesg

Code:

Solaris: WARNING: can't open objset 79, error 5

Solaris: WARNING: can't open objset 61, error 5

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
That was all for "dmesg"? I think it's missing a lot. Please do not filter anything except maybe any IP addresses you don't want out there or serial numbers. If you can't post the entire output here, use paste.bin and post the link.

Are you running a RAID6, using a RAID card? It doesn't make sense to me with the output of zpool import and all the drives being listed.

One more thing to post besides the entire dmesg output, gpart list. Honestly I'm not very optimistic right now. Hopefully someone else can jump in and offer some assistance once you post that requested data.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
At first glance, it looks like the pool was built on top of a hardware RAID, which probably got trashed by the power outage. If so, recovery seems unlikely, but might be possible if the hardware RAID can be recovered.

@rodas, please confirm the exact structure of your system.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You're using hardware RAID6, with a ZFS pool built on top of that? Very, very bad. Almost certainly fatally bad, in fact. What's the rest of your hardware (i.e., what RAID controller are you using)?

It doesn't make sense to me with the output of zpool import and all the drives being listed.
zpool import doesn't list all the drives--it only lists one device.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your using a hardware raid controller. This is the wrong way to set things up. Fix your raid using what ever tools your raid card gives you. Then maybe we can help you with the zfs part but there is a 99% chance you have lost your pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rodas

Cadet
I am using a hardware raid controller AVAGO MegaRaid SAS 9361-8i. I am planning to fix my raid with tools and let you know the results. Many thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
zpool import doesn't list all the drives--it only lists one device.
I understand but all the drives were listed via camcontrol, that is what I was saying.

I am using a hardware raid controller AVAGO MegaRaid SAS 9361-8i.
That is what I was thinking. As the others have said, this is a very bad idea with a ZFS file system. If you want to use the RAID controller like that then I'd suggest you use a different file system for your NAS. Or you could flash the controller to IT mode and use it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I understand but all the drives were listed via camcontrol, that is what I was saying.
However, none of them had adaX/daX device numbers, which was the first thing I noticed (and then had me looking more closely at other things). In any event, we reached the same conclusion, albeit by different routes. But I don't think there's IT-mode firmware for a 9361.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, I was thinking it was in RAID right away but I don't have much practical experience with RAID cards so I was not leaping to the conclusion like you because you do have that first hand knowledge.

rodas

Cadet
I did the Consistency Check in MegaRaid BIOS Utility, but nothing changed, I get the same error...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why did you choose zfs and freenas? If you don't need those features you could run any filesystem. If you want checksums and cow then zfs is the right choice but you need a different drive controller.

rodas

Cadet
Why did you choose zfs and freenas? If you don't need those features you could run any filesystem. If you want checksums and cow then zfs is the right choice but you need a different drive controller.

I chose this system because it's free :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wire your disks directly to your motherboard and ditch the RAID controller, and you should be fine for the future. It won't do anything for your existing data, unfortunately. ZFS is the only filesystem option in FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your data may be gone forever. Hopefully you made a backup of any important data.

Free doesn't mean you can blindly use the software. You must read the hardware requirements and the user manual if you are to use software in the future. I think you learned a hard lesson. I learned hard lessons when I was younger, things like always save your data when writing as program on a university computer system, it may fall out from under you at any given moment and then all your hard work is gone.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I chose this system because it's free :)
If that's your reason you need to pick something else. You are way under prepared for this system. Freenas requires a little knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.