Cannot create new volume using all disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm brand new to FreeNAS. Thanks for the upcoming help I'm going to need!

I'm trying to use the ZFS volume manager to create a new volume, but it is only allowing me to use two of my four disks to do so. I am switching to FreeNAS from Ubuntu where I had a RAID 10 on these same disks. I am assuming FreeNAS is seeing this RAID?

If so, how do I kill the old RAID to carry on in FreeNAS?

Thanks,

Scott

alexg

Contributor
Assuming you are not using same hardware with RAID, you can try disk wipe option under "ViewDisk" panel in GUI. This should clear out any remaining partitioning on the disk.

I guess I should have mentioned the RAID was setup with mdadm in Ubuntu. I'm using the same drives - I assumed the RAID would either disappear with the new OS or could be managed with it... I guess not!

I'm running DBAN now so hopefully that'll fix it up!

The slider showed all four disks, but they weren't linear. It was showing the array I believe, i.e.,

ada1 | ada2
ada3 | ada4

instead of:

ada1 | ada2 | ada3 | ada4

I'll write again tonight once DBAN has done its thing.

Thanks again,

Scott

ser_rhaegar

Patron
What RAID format are you looking for? The four disks in a square as it showed is correct for a mirror (RAID10) setup. To go RAIDZ2 (or RAIDZ1, though not recommended), you just drag the circle from the bottom right corner, up so they appear in a row.

So DBAN finally finished. After a day and a half of downtime, I really wish that I had received ser_rhaegar's post. When I fired FreeNAS up last night, the disks were in the same exact layout as above. I grabbed the circle in the bottom right corner and dragged it up and voila! Success!

I was able to setup a RAIDZ2 volume last night.

Now the tinkering and breaking can begin!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions,

Scott

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know that what ser_rhaegar said is in the manual, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.