Nothing happens wheb trying to create a volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipop

Dabbler
Nothing happens when trying to create a volume

Hi all,

I've installed freenas on a proliant N40L with 8gig of ram and 4*3Tb HDD using a 4gig USB. Everything is brand new.

The installation went smoothly and I can access the GUI with my laptop. However, this is as far as I can go.

I've followed the tutorial to create a volume (4 disks in a raidz1) using the volume manager. When I click create, I have the progress bar during 10 minutes and then nothing. The volume screen remains empty. I've tried rebooting but that hasn't solved the issue.

This is the first time I'm using freenas (upgrading from a WDSharespace) and I'm lost as to what to do.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It kind of sounds like one of your disks may be bad.

Being that everything is brand new though, it could be almost anything. Other easy possible tests you could run would be RAM tests, hard disk SMART tests, and trying another USB stick to make sure your USB isn't bad.

antipop

Dabbler
If a disk is bad, shouldn't I get an error message ? All my disk are properly showing in the View Disks.

The UBS key is properly booting and I can see all the ram at the boot test.

How can I run the additional tests you mentionned ?

Stephens

Patron
It doesn't sound like you've read the documentation or the forums much.

- Google "FreeNAS SMART long test"
- Google chkflsh -- it checks out your USB flash drive to see if it's OK
- Google MemTest86+ -- it checks your RAM

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It doesn't sound like you've read the documentation or the forums much.

- Google "FreeNAS SMART long test"
- Google chkflsh -- it checks out your USB flash drive to see if it's OK
- Google MemTest86+ -- it checks your RAM

So no fun. I about cried when I saw the questions being asked. I wasn't about to even waste my time to answer...

antipop

Dabbler
So no fun. I about cried when I saw the questions being asked. I wasn't about to even waste my time to answer...
I've been reading a lot to try to find something and I couldn't find anyone with the same issue so I thought that I could find some help in the noob forum ...

Sorry for posting noob question but I am one and I wonder what you're doing in this part of the forum if you don't want to answer that kind of question.

I'm on quite a few other forums with various topics and I've always hated when people treat the new guy like this. I didn't think my question was that insulting that "you almost cried" !

I'm going to check the HDD, RAM and USB but I have the feeling that the issue is more from a software point than an hardware one.

Stephens

Patron
I'm not sure you understand.

He answered your first question. It's the follow-up questions you don't seem to have invested any time in seeking out the answer to. Put in common terms, it's like you described symptoms of your car and he answered, "Try changing your oil," and you responded back, "How do I do that?" The fact that you don't know isn't problematic. The fact that you apparently didn't invest any energy in finding out is slightly irritating and implies your time and energy to at least seek out the answer is somehow more valuable than his time and energy to explain it to you.

I'm going to check the HDD, RAM and USB but I have the feeling that the issue is more from a software point than an hardware one.

He disagrees. And so do I. But that's neither here nor there. Either way, we're all (you too) making educated guesses. The proof will be in the pudding. Let us know the results of the tests.

FYI, I'd order the tests based on how long they take to complete, so...
1) chkflsh
2) SMART long test
3) Memtest86+

NOTE: Memtest86+ may not take that long for one pass, but you might want to let it run overnight if the other tests are OK.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
He answered your first question. It's the follow-up questions you don't seem to have invested any time in seeking out the answer to. Put in common terms, it's like you described symptoms of your car and he answered, "Try changing your oil," and you responded back, "How do I do that?" The fact that you don't know isn't problematic. The fact that you apparently didn't invest any energy in finding out is slightly irritating and implies your time and energy to at least seek out the answer is somehow more valuable than his time and energy to explain it to you.

Exactly. To continue the car analogy if you came back and said "ok.. I think I know how to change my oil.. but now I'm reading about this W thing.. 10W40, 5W30.. and I don't understand what "W" means or the numbers.." then at least I know you did some searching.

All 3 of those questions (RAM, hard disk, USB) have been answered so many times and are answered so frequently that you couldn't have possibly searched and not found any answer that wasn't the correct one.

JaimieV

Guru
On the other side, do we really want this to be a snotty, cliquey forum where the seniors take the piss out of the noobs all the time? Because that's what's happening.

Chill out, "Senior Members". Point people at the documentation, but don't imply they're stupid and useless. The questions they ask are obvious to anyone with a bit of experience, but how can people get experience when their first build has crapped itself without an error message?

/Edit - On top of which, we're in the frickin' FreeNAS 4 N00bs forum! The clue is in the name!

Status
Not open for further replies.