SOLVED Can't create ZFS volume in 9.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinJack

Dabbler
I have just built a 9.2.1 x64 FreeNAS box to add to my VMWare infrastructure as additional storage and all went well - created a ZFS Mirrored volume and and NFS share. Then decided to delete the volume and create an iSCSI share. Deleted the original volume and now no matter what I do I cannot create a new ZFS volume!

ZFS Volume Manager seems to work and I can select disks and layout, but when I hit Create Volume it appears to do it but nothing appears in the volumes - no matter what I try. I have even tried using the shell but still ended up with a blank.

Anybody able to give me a pointer(s)?

Thanks

Colin

ColinJack

Dabbler
Somebody more knowledgeable than I must be able to help? I am presuming that there is something 'left over' from the previous volume causing the problem, but I have wiped the disks (using the GUI) and still no joy. No doubt I need to use the CLI but what to do please? I'm stuck!

Thanks

Colin

D

dlavigne

Post the output of zpool status in code tags. Also, anything related in /var/log/messages?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm. You may have to wipe the disks. Try doing a "quick wipe" from the GUI for each of the disks.

ColinJack

Dabbler
Already done that (see my original post) ... but seeing something about "Unable to create the pool: mountpoint '/data' exists and is not empty, use '-m' option to provide a different default, " in the message log which sounds useful.

Working from the GUI shell because annoyingly SSH not working for some reason. Connection refused!

ColinJack

Dabbler
Quick wiped the discs again (from the GUI) and tried to create pool again ... same error: "Unable to create the pool: mountpoint '/data' exists and is not empty, use '-m' option to provide a different default, ". The /data mount point was the original one I created and then deleted. Guess I just need to clear that somehow but at the moment am foxed and out of my depth a little. Guess that is why I posted in NOObs! :)

What to do?

Thanks

ColinJack

Dabbler
Done it ... typical noob problem. :(
Found a folder off the root called data with FreeNAS DB in it!!
Used a different name for spool and tadaaaa ...

Thanks for your help.

eliasnas

Cadet
Done it ... typical noob problem. :(
Found a folder off the root called data with FreeNAS DB in it!!
Used a different name for spool and tadaaaa ...

Thanks for your help.

Can you please provide more details (the steps with command lines if possible/applicable) that you took to solve your issue? There many "infant" noobs out there that struggle. I have exactly the same problem. I see all drives but not all volumes. I deleted one of the volumes and try to re-create it but I can't. I became new member here today because you had the solution. I see the freenas-v1.db (operator) file, is that what you renamed? I will play around in this area but would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Last edited:

ColinJack

Dabbler
Can you please provide more details (the steps with command lines if possible/applicable) that you took to solve your issue? There many "infant" noobs out there that struggle. I have exactly the same problem. I see all drives but not all volumes. I deleted one of the volumes and try to re-create it but I can't. I became new member here today because you had the solution. I see the freenas-v1.db (operator) file, is that what you renamed? I will play around in this area but would appreciate your help. Thanks.
In my case it was just that I had tried to create a pool called 'data'. You can't - that is reserved name. Use say 'datastore' for your pool name and all will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.