SOLVED Adding disks of same size to extend volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

lctr01

Dabbler
Hi,
I am running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U5 on a small nas and I am very newbie to all this.
I have 2x WD 4TB disks which I believe I had set to be mirrored, but I can't really understand where to check if they're actually working like this (apart from seeing only 4TB available).

This has been working fine for a while, and now I purchased 2 more Seagate 4TB disks which I'd like to add and extend my current space (to have 8TB available out of 16 total).

I assume I'd need to do this in Volume manager, select the volume to extend and proceed from there. The submit button says "Existing data will be cleared" - I hope this is intended for the data on the new disks and not the data already on the volume?

Can you please advise if this is the right direction?

Many thanks!

melloa

Wizard

lctr01

Dabbler
The way I like is dropping to the shell and use:

zpool status

You can do that from the GUI or ssh to the server. It will tell you what you have.

take a look at: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/
Thank you - that returns mirror-0. Does this mean, if one fails, I am covered? without having to setup any further replications?

I did have a read at that pdf prior to opening the thread, but I am still confused (it's a lot to take in!)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thank you - that returns mirror-0. Does this mean, if one fails, I am covered?
Yes, that's what a mirror means.
The submit button says "Existing data will be cleared" - I hope this is intended for the data on the new disks and not the data already on the volume?
Correct--the data already in your pool wouldn't be harmed, but anything on the new disks would be destroyed.

melloa

Wizard
Thank you - that returns mirror-0. Does this mean, if one fails, I am covered? without having to setup any further replications?

So you have a mirror setup with your two disks.

I did have a read at that pdf prior to opening the thread, but I am still confused (it's a lot to take in!)

It is. I read four times and still don't know all that's there. There are several posts covering how to add to a mirror. So a search for that, but start here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/adding-a-second-mirror-vdev-to-zpool.46538/

lctr01

Dabbler
Thank you both - I was able to successfully perform the operation!

melloa

Wizard
Excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.