Cannot add folder via FTP or change permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Got a strange issue. When I log into the storage via FTP, I cant add a folder or change permissions on some folders. Yes the same folders, I can create a new folder via a Windows PC connected on the same network. I thought there was maybe some strange permissions, so when I checked them and tried to change them to something different, it wouldn't let me change those either.

Can anyone help with this? I'm not the most experienced FreeNAS user, but I'm just not sure what is going on at all, as it seems a little strange that a PC can make changes, but when I log in via FTP, something is not letting me make changes.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Got a strange issue. When I log into the storage via FTP, I cant add a folder or change permissions on some folders. Yes the same folders, I can create a new folder via a Windows PC connected on the same network. I thought there was maybe some strange permissions, so when I checked them and tried to change them to something different, it wouldn't let me change those either.

Can anyone help with this? I'm not the most experienced FreeNAS user, but I'm just not sure what is going on at all, as it seems a little strange that a PC can make changes, but when I log in via FTP, something is not letting me make changes.
In Services->FTP->Settings in the GUI, you will see that there are specific permissions associated with FTP. You probably want to checkmark all of the boxes.

takkischitt

Explorer
In Services->FTP->Settings in the GUI, you will see that there are specific permissions associated with FTP. You probably want to checkmark all of the boxes.

All? Is that safe?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
All? Is that safe?
You are using FTP. You've already missed the "safe" train station. :smile:

I wouldn't change those checkboxes. For my setup, I had to create a user in the GUI, set the home directory to a folder that I wanted them to control, and add that user to the "ftp" Aux group (at the bottom of the user setting page). There might be a better way to do it, but this worked for me.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What I am trying to do, instead of like what @depasseg is recommending, is to give you something easy that should "just work". If this kind of stuff is new to you, then I would suggest doing what I recommend.

It's not "safe" in the sense that anyone else that gets on your network will be able to use ftp to tear your stuff up, but that particular risk is highly overblown for the typical home FreeNAS user.

takkischitt

Explorer
You are using FTP. You've already missed the "safe" train station. :)

I wouldn't change those checkboxes. For my setup, I had to create a user in the GUI, set the home directory to a folder that I wanted them to control, and add that user to the "ftp" Aux group (at the bottom of the user setting page). There might be a better way to do it, but this worked for me.

What would be a better way to access the storage? I'm not experienced enough to use command line, btw. I also tried creating a user in the way you described, but it still gave the same results.

What I am trying to do, instead of like what @depasseg is recommending, is to give you something easy that should "just work". If this kind of stuff is new to you, then I would suggest doing what I recommend.

It's not "safe" in the sense that anyone else that gets on your network will be able to use ftp to tear your stuff up, but that particular risk is highly overblown for the typical home FreeNAS user.

The NAS was working as it should previously, then I had a drive fail and I had to replace a drive and I also upgraded FreeNAS to the latest stable version. I also restored the system settings from a backup I had. This is why I'm somewhat lost as to what may have happened or changed to make me not able to create directories or change permissions via FTP.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What would be a better way to access the storage? I'm not experienced enough to use command line, btw. I also tried creating a user in the way you described, but it still gave the same results.

The NAS was working as it should previously, then I had a drive fail and I had to replace a drive and I also upgraded FreeNAS to the latest stable version. I also restored the system settings from a backup I had. This is why I'm somewhat lost as to what may have happened or changed to make me not able to create directories or change permissions via FTP.
I don't know how old your FreeNAS version was, but somewhere in the mix was an update to proftpd, which is the daemon underlying the FTP service in FreeNAS. Possibly related.

takkischitt

Explorer
It was probably around a year old.

Mr_Snrub

Cadet
Was this problem ever solved? I'm having the same issue. I cannot create a dir in the home directory for the user I created. The user is part of the FTP aux group and I pretty much have all the permissions set to allow on the FTP settings GUI (file execute get disabled even after clicking them ).

Is there some sort of configuration file down in the bowels somewhere that is preventing the creation of a dir? I can copy single files over in filezilla from my windows machine with no problems, I just can not create a dir. I can however delete a directory which is also strange that I would have that ability but not the ability to create.

Using version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950

Status
Not open for further replies.