Cant change folder/file permissions via WinSCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Hi

I had a FreeNAS setup which was working how I wanted. I could change permissions on certain folders/files allowing read only, etc etc. However, one of the drives failed and I had to replace it and set the system up again using a config backup and data backup of the system prior to the HDD failure. The problem is now I can't seem to set the permissions (I log in to the system using WinSCP). When I click on a folder to change it and it's files permissions, I get the following error...

'Cannot change properties of file 'blah blah blah blah'

'Operation not permitted'

I'm thinking this must be a user setup issue or something, but should it not have restored the setup I had previously from the backup config?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

takkischitt

Explorer
Is this a CIFS share? If so, have you tried just by connecting via Windows Explorer (\\%FreeNasSever%\%Share%) and trying to set permissions?

Yes, it is. Permission setting are greyed out in Windows.

I just noticed a check box in the directory share options in CIFS menu for 'Apply Default Permissions'. This is checked. Does that mean it overrides the permissions with defaults when I try to adjust the permissions? I'm just struggling to work out what is different in the setup from my last system (before the HDD failure).

Mirfster

Shouldn't (as far as I know). Check the Permission on your DataSet, on mine I have like this:
upload_2016-2-22_10-35-59.png

takkischitt

Explorer
Shouldn't (as far as I know). Check the Permission on your DataSet, on mine I have like this:
View attachment 10696

That's pretty much the same as mine (bar the different Owner in my settings). Could it be something to do with the 'Owner (group)' setting?

takkischitt

Explorer
Thinking so.

There doesn't seem to be any settings associated with the 'Owner (group)'. Seems to be more related to the 'Owner (user)'.

I'm completely lost with this :(

Mirfster

Sry, I replied too quick...

So for the "Owner (user)" do you have that set to "nobody" and for "Owner (group)" you should have that set to whatever group you decided. Then simply add Users to that group in FreeNas.

From there see if you can browse to the folder in Windows Explorer; authenticate as a user who is a member of the "Owner (group)" and set permissions as desired.

I provided instructions over on this thread which may help: FreeNAS Can't Handle Basic Use Case
Also, have a looksy at this thread where I linked some info: Want to buy some support for NFS/CIFS sharing
I have not tried actually setting permissions via WinSCP but could in a little bit
Lastly, have you cleared any cached credentials on your Windows machine (not sure if this applies to WinSCP or not though)?

takkischitt

Explorer
Sry, I replied too quick...

So for the "Owner (user)" do you have that set to "nobody" and for "Owner (group)" you should have that set to whatever group you decided. Then simply add Users to that group in FreeNas.

From there see if you can browse to the folder in Windows Explorer; authenticate as a user who is a member of the "Owner (group)" and set permissions as desired.

I provided instructions over on this thread which may help: FreeNAS Can't Handle Basic Use Case
Also, have a looksy at this thread where I linked some info: Want to buy some support for NFS/CIFS sharing
I have not tried actually setting permissions via WinSCP but could in a little bit
Lastly, have you cleared any cached credentials on your Windows machine (not sure if this applies to WinSCP or not though)?

I will have a go at these suggestions. A little background to my setup which may help in understanding what I'm after. The NAS is used as a central file server and backup machine for the office computers. Previously, I had the system set up so anyone could access it via their PCs (without having to log in or anything), but certain folders and files could only be opened, copied, etc. They couldn't be changed then saved on the NAS (due to the permissions). This is the way I'd like it set up again. I dont want people to have to have log ins when accessing the NAS.

Mirfster

By default, when you try to access a share in Windows; it will attempt to use the current logged on user's credentials. So, if you had those sync'd there would not be any prompt. Depending on how many users you have it may be worthwhile to consider this.

Do you already have AD or similar? Since you mentioned "office computers"...

takkischitt

Explorer
By default, when you try to access a share in Windows; it will attempt to use the current logged on user's credentials. So, if you had those sync'd there would not be any prompt. Depending on how many users you have it may be worthwhile to consider this.

Do you already have AD or similar? Since you mentioned "office computers"...

AD?

Mirfster

Guess not.. :p AD = Active Directory...

So would I be safe in assuming that everyone there is simply logging onto their computers with whatever User Name and Password that is housed locally on each computer?

takkischitt

Explorer
Guess not.. :p AD = Active Directory...

So would I be safe in assuming that everyone there is simply logging onto their computers with whatever User Name and Password that is housed locally on each computer?

Yeah, each computer has it's windows login only.

takkischitt

Explorer
What should the 'Share type' be set to in the options for the storage location...

T3LpnyP.png

takkischitt

Explorer
Tried it, but it didn't change anything in terms of permissions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.